Test your maths skills and statistical knowledge! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Test your maths skills and statistical knowledge!

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
As part of Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month we thought we would pick your brains for your best number knowledge!

Take this YouTube maths quiz

Press play on the video below and be guided through a series of thought provoking maths questions, some of which may have you stumped :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5P-f5arPXE

Give us an interesting stat

Once you've proved how much of a mathematical genius you are, we'd love it if you could:
  • Let us know your favourite statistic, or just one that you find really interesting.
  • Share a stat that is true but you find hard to believe.
  • Tell us something you'd like to know the statistics for, but aren't aware of any stat that exists.
If possible, please link to a source for any of your stats, thank you :) 
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This will be a really poor recollection, as I can’t remember the details, but I enjoyed the gist of it. I’m not sure what the exact thing was that was being measured, but an astronomer spent a long time working out some distance in space exactly - may have been the distance of a moon or planet or something - and it came back as a round number like 500,000. He was very angry at this because he had worked it out exactly and he thought that if he published 500,000 people would think he had just rounded it so he added a few units to the final score to make it an odd number like 500,037 so it looked like he had done it precisely!

If someone knows what it was and who I’d be interested to know!
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Interesting @66Mustang! I can just imagine the poor chap's frustration at finding out it was a round number!

Not a statistic exactly, but closely related...  ;)

Statistics show that people who have the most birthdays tend to live the longest! (Bah-boom!)

I thank you, and it's goodnight from me  :D
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @Caz_Scope that reminds me that statisticians years ago found a direct correlation between crime and toilets, the greater the number of toilets in an area the greater the chances of burglaries. Go figure!?

(therefore toilets cause crime)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I would like to know how much oxygen is created here on earth compared to how much is being used by aircraft, cars, space rockets etc on a daily basis please.

id hate us to run out of air you see ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    @leeCal I'm still struggling to get my head round that one! Go figure, yes!! :smiley:

(I'm also trying to work out if there's a punchline in there somewhere??)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    edited April 2021
    Options
    No, @Caz_Scope? It’s not you, it’s me. ha ha. Therefore toilets caused crime! 

years ago we were doing stats and this was an example of how you can find correlations erroneously, it made us laugh at the time.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Correlation is not causation

As I was taught  :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    68.2% of statistics are made up!

Brightness