Things that are good value — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things that are good value

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
We all like to moan that things are expensive these days but, prompted by a comment about the TV licence on another thread where someone pointed out that you get a lot for the money, I decided to make a topic where we can discuss/share things that we think are particularly good value!

They can be things you have purchased that have served you well or just things you think are generally good value.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Running water is probably the best value thing there is :) 

When I think about how much we use, and how much it costs compared to other utilities, it's amazing.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    Water, it's the only bill I don't mind paying. Clean fresh drinkable water, as much as I need whenever I want. It's something we all take for granted.
  • 66Mustang
    A few that spring to mind...

Books: hours of knowledge or entertainment available for under a pound if you buy used i.e. from a charity shop

Video games: if you choose the right ones they can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment which works out at a few pence per hour

Vegetables: or really any healthy food. I hear people moan that it costs a lot to eat healthily but if you look properly you can get loads of vegetables and other healthy foods like pastas for well under a pound, sometimes even 25p or so. It is actually cheaper to eat healthily than to eat unhealthy food like a ready meal or takeaway

Plane flights: I find it amazing that you can go to another country for just tens of pounds (well we could up until recently anyway)
  • 66Mustang
    Yes water is a good one @Ross_Scope and @vikingqueen I agree we take it for granted but it’s invaluable, thanks for posting :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I use HOTUKDEALS when I'm upto it, last night I got 48 bedding plants should have been £32 delivered paid £19, if you haven't tried HDUK it's worth a look, people post bargains they have seen in store many of them are national some local.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @woodbine that is a great site indeed, I’ve come across a few great deals via them

Hope you enjoy the plants...wow to be honest even £32 sounds pretty good for 48 plants!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    The cea card £6 per year and gives free access to cinema for 1 carer as many times as you like 
    .as you couldn't use it for a year they are giving you 18 months this year when you renew 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    The cea card £6 per year and gives free access to cinema for 1 carer as many times as you like 
    .as you couldn't use it for a year they are giving you 18 months this year when you renew 
    That's very generous of them :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rfk1974
    rfk1974 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    The Motability Scheme - I couldn’t afford a car like mine and adapted too for my disability. I know it’s not ‘free’ as you give up your mobility part of PIP/DLA for it but it’s definitely worth it in my opinion! 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Felt pads for the bottom of chair legs to prevent ruining your laminate flooring around the dining table, only a pound a strip. Self adhesive too ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering

Pets - give company. spontaneous antics, love in their own way, stop talking to self

Good pair of shoes
    (£50 to £60 outlet price) to get good wear out of (and not fall to bits too soon)

Theme Park Pass (pre-covid) - can go to various places and just cost fare, (booking fee for some) Packed Lunch or dine there.

Cinema - (budget screen) some films need the big screen for immersive experience

Mobile Phone - Window to world and music player (budget to mid price)

Cordless Headphones - Tangle free listening experience. Spring in step on long walk. 

Lego - satisfying builds, something creative

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    My 16-25 railcard paid for itself very quickly (pre-covid times of course!).

A bit of a random one, but my milk frother was another good investment. I got it for sale online, so it wasn't very much, and it means that I can make tasty frothy coffees at home. This prevents me from buying coffees out as often.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    My disabled badge was great value for £10, So is the free disabled parking bay outside my house. 
    I no longer have to worry about parking while shopping, or someone parking in my space when I'm out.
    You've got me thinking here.
    My mobile is also good value at £6 per month, does all I want, phone, internet, great camera, great deal.
    Don't like paying the TV licence though, never have. Even though thinking on it, we seem to watch BBC more than any other Terrestrial channel.

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Radar Key (toilets)

very useful for some locations the only option and others, the coin loos have long queues!
    Also some Normal Loos  are miles downstairs!!

not perfect though as some Radar are often out of order or close early. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    I love a good bargain me, online vouchers, reduced sections in shops, sales.
    Its rare i pay full price for any thing I need, unless I have to.

Brightness