Are you an introvert or an extrovert? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
According to Wikipedia:

Extroversion is the state of primarily obtaining gratification from outside oneself. Extroverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastictalkativeassertive, and gregarious. Extraverts are energized and thrive off being around other people. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. They also tend to work well in groups. An extraverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people, and they are more prone to boredom when they are by themselves.
Introversion is the state of being predominantly interested in one's own mental self. Introverts are typically perceived as more reserved or reflectiveSome popular psychologists have characterized introverts as people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction. Introverts often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, or meditating. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people. Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement, introversion having even been defined by some in terms of a preference for a quiet, more minimally stimulating external environment. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate, especially observed in developing children and adolescents. They are more analytical before speaking.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? 32 votes

Introvert
56%
rfk1974Ami2301SusanfelixOverlyAnxious66MustangaylesburygirlJohn7Ayoung1979LuchiaTori_ScopeEliz31abethSandy_123Supernanmafluffycatcazza6565TannersMum33Caleychloeblue04 18 votes
Extrovert
9%
woodbineGarzaLisatho11987777 3 votes
A mix (ambivert)
34%
Jean EveleighleeCalwilkodeb74janer1967WestHam06Pixie51Cher_AlumniRoss_Alumnileefinch[Deleted User] 11 votes

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    A definite mix for me - so I must be an ambivert @Tori_Scope :)

Which one are you?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    A mix (ambivert)
    I used to definitely be an introvert but I’ve changed over the years, thankfully I find the world less painful these days.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    A mix (ambivert)
    I'm very much a mix these days I am quite extroverted in places I know well and feel comfortable in but introverted elsewhere and becoming more so as I get older, when I was younger I was very much an extrovert and often the life and soul of the party etc.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Extrovert
    As I've got older I have become more extrovert, it's a case I suppose of not caring what people think about what I think.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Extrovert
    I have always been an extravert  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    A mix (ambivert)
    Definitely an ambivert. Sometimes I'm very outgoing whereas on other occasions I just like being quiet and alone :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • TannersMum33
    TannersMum33 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Introvert
    I like my own company, I read, and listen to music, I look on YouTube and watch movies. I prefer my dog to most people.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    A mix (ambivert)
    I would say I'm definitely a mix of both, depending on the situation, I can be either. Thank you. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Introvert
    I'd say I'm an introvert @Caz_Scope. I do enjoy spending time with people, but I also know that I need my time alone or I get really exhausted.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    A mix (ambivert)
    It definitely depends on the situation I am in. Like a lot of people sometimes I like my own company and other times I like being around other people.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Oh @Tori_Scope, that's very true!

I definitely need my time alone and my own space every now and again, just to re-charge the batteries :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ayoung1979
    Ayoung1979 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Introvert
    I'm definitely an introvert now because I find people ignorant and hateful.  I like the company of my husband and my dog. That's it!!
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Introvert
    Prefer to keep low profile. (Introvert)
    If get to know somebody then more out of shell. 
    More chatty to say a Barista  (for instance) if go regularly. 

Could change after a few sherbets lol
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    A mix (ambivert)
    @fluffycat A few sherberts..  :D  

I'm definitely an ambivert.  In some situations I feel comfortable being louder and 'more seen' than others, particularly round those who know me the best.  While other times, I very much prefer my own company and would happily cancel social events to have an early night and watch some reality TV!  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Supernanma
    Supernanma Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Introvert
    For years I put on a different face for work. There I would defend people at work, I stopped them from being fired etc. When I got home I loved my kids & being a mum, cooking, cleaning. I was happiest out in the countryside, walking in nature. Eventually having the two very different characters but me badly and I had a complete breakdown. I like my own company, I can manage a little but of company no more than a couple of times a week. I can no longer do big dinner parties, it throws me into massive panic attacks. I can have the kids and grandkids but I constantly worry, so I know now I'm an introvert, and I love it.  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    A mix (ambivert)
    Thinking about it I’m introverted if surrounded by extroverts and extroverted if surrounded by introverts, hmmm, so definitely an ambivert. ??

(mind you, I can’t remember a time when I was actually surrounded by introverts, unless it was that time once at the library ?)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Introvert
    definate introvert. I don't have any friends at all. i could happily go without talking to anyone for days on end. 
    Hard to believe i used to work in a call centre
  • Susanfelix
    Susanfelix Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Introvert
    I describe myself as an outspoken introvert. I love being by myself reading books or watching netflix but when I'm with people I'm not afraid to speak my mind. I don't just sit there quietly. Although I've always said I like animals more than people.?????????
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    I am a mix of both. I like to call it "being in the middle." It has taken me a long time to understand the difference between the two.
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 255 Pioneering
    Introvert
    I'm definitely an introvert, I easily get stressed and overwhelmed in social situations, I have very few close friends but that's all I need really 

Brightness