How is backdated carers element paid, and when will I receive it? Will I lose money off my UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is backdated carers element paid, and when will I receive it? Will I lose money off my UC?

bahah
bahah Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello... so I'm wondering how backdated careers is paid and how it works I've been awarded it I think I cant really understand the letter but it doesn't say on my decision how or when I will receive it will it be added to my statement will it be a separate payment also will I lose some universal credit due to my back dated money or will I get my normal payment as usual and backdate on top sorry for all the question thankyou in advance :smiley:  x

Comments

• bahah
    Hello... so I'm wondering how backdated careers is paid and how it works I've been awarded it I think I cant really understand the letter but it doesn't say on my decision how or when I will receive it will it be added to my statement will it be a separate payment also will I lose some universal credit due to my back dated money or will I get my normal payment as usual and backdate on top sorry for all the question thankyou in advance :smiley:  x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    It should be backdated to the assessment period in which you reported you were a carer.

it is included in your normal UC payment.

(To be clear - you are only asking about carer element of UC, your are not asking about Carer’s Allowance?)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bahah
    Will they take money off me for getting backdated like they would careers allowance 
  • bahah
    Would I still get my normal universal credit payment and the backdated on top 
  • calcotti
    bahah said:
    Will they take money off me for getting backdated like they would careers allowance 
    No. If there are arrears you will get these paid but as the carer element is part of UC it will not be deducted from UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bahah
    and yes I'm only asking about careers element 
  • calcotti
    bahah said:
    Would I still get my normal universal credit payment and the backdated on top 
    As advised, your normal payments will increase because of the addition of the carer element.
  • bahah
    Is there any way you could have a look at my decision form and tell me what you think it means and to what period it goes back to 
  • bahah
    Also the backdated will be paid in my normal uc payment?
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    I think you may see any arrears payment as a separate payment.

When did you tell them about your caring responsibilities?
  • bahah
    edited April 2021
    August 2019 but I wasnt aware of careers element this is the decision they vave me about backdated can someone help me understand it 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @bahah. This decision is that your carer element will be backdated to 30/12/2019 and you should also see the increase in your payments going forward. 
    The backdated money will be paid to you separately. If you have any social fund debts or overpayments then they may offer the backdated money to DWP Debt Department first. If not, then it'll be sent to you once your Case Manager has calculated how much is owed. 
    Keep an eye on your old statements as the first sign they're actioning this decision is usually that they amend the old statements to show what you should have been paid. If you don't hear anything within a couple of weeks it is worth chasing your Case Manager to find out when you'll be paid. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lulalillegs
    lulalillegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello just wondering if you can let me know how long from the decision makers letter you have posted that it was before you received the back pay..? I’m currently in this exact position right now and the service centre are useless. Kind regards Ellie.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello just wondering if you can let me know how long from the decision makers letter you have posted that it was before you received the back pay..? I’m currently in this exact position right now and the service centre are useless. Kind regards Ellie.
    You posted on a thread that's more than 18 months old and the person hasn't been active for about the same time. It often takes a few weeks, sometimes longer to receive any money that's owed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lulalillegs
    lulalillegs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @poppy123456 it’s the only thread I could find on this particular question, I understand the person may not see it or it may take time, however thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.