Please can someone give me advice on lower back/bum/thigh pain? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please can someone give me advice on lower back/bum/thigh pain?

Athena
Athena Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hello, I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place but I’m new to the forum thing and I wasn’t sure where to post it. 

I have suffered from back issues for a long time mostly due to being overweight (I’m now on a reducing strict diet for gallstones).

This last week I’ve been suffering awfully from lower back pain, excruciating aching in my bum cheeks and down the backs of my thighs. 

I was rushed to hospital last Sunday with the pretence of a heart attack but it turned out to be gallstones (on the wait list for an operation to remove the gallbladder), I was over the hospital for 12 hours sitting in uncomfortable chairs etc. The ache in my bum and back started the next day and it’s just getting worse. 

Is it my bum effecting my back or my back effecting my bum? It’s excruciating when I sit down like bad tooth ache, it’s excruciating when I’m standing, I can hardly move my legs to walk, if I attempt a wide step I have stabbing pains in my lower back so I’m shuffling around. I’m 36 and I’m walking like a 90 year old. The only place I’m comfy and not in pain is when I’m laying down but when I do lay down I’m in absolute agony upon getting up. 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Doctors appointments are difficult right now because of Covid and honestly my GP is not the best. Can someone please help me? 

I have sciatica and have done for ten years or more, but this feels different to a sciatic flare up. Same place of pain in my lower back but it’s both bum cheeks and both thighs... 

Any advice? 
Thanks! 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Athena - & welcome to the community. You have posted in the right place to introduce yourself. :)
    I'm sorry to read about all the pain you're in, but unfortunately we are unable to give medical advice, so you need to discuss this with a GP. As your current one you say isn't the best, would you be able to talk with another GP in the practice?
    Please kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Hi and welcome.  The pain you are describing sounds like the pain my husband has, and that’s sciatica.  But yours sounds really intense.  Have you tried massage?  It might help.
  • Athena
    Hi guys thanks for the replies! Yes I’ll be calling my GP surgery tomorrow morning for an appointment. 

I can’t stand people touching me so a massage isn’t something I’d like. Though thank you for the suggestion. 

It doesn’t feel like sciatic pain I’ve had before..? Unless there are different types of it? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

Sorry about your pain as mentioned above we are unable to give medical advice 

I suggest you see a chiropractor from my own experience they were the best thing I ever did when I had back problems,  worth their weight in gold 

I hope you get it sorted 
  • Athena
    Thank you! I’m calling my GP in the morning.  :)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Hi @Athena :smile:

Welcome to the Online community! Sorry that we're meeting for the first time in what must be very trying circumstances for you. 

As our other members have already mentioned, we're not able to provide you with any specific medical advice, and your GP is definitely going to be the best person to speak to in terms of getting medical help and some relief for your symptoms. Have you been able to get in touch with them this morning? Hopefully, you've managed to get an appointment to see or speak to somebody pretty soon?

Of course, we completely understand why you might want to speak to others who have experienced anything similar, and perhaps also try and find something that brings you some relief. I know you've mentioned that you have sciatica and so you're probably already quite familiar with the condition, but I've included a link to the NHS website on sciatica as well, just in case that's helpful to you at this stage. 

Let us know how you get on with your GP and I do hope that you manage to get some relief very soon :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness