Pip Review advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Review advice please

THAAWT
THAAWT Community member Posts: 38 Connected
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

I'm looking for advice please :)

My husband has been on PIP standard daily living for about 8 years now and we've just received the latest renewal after having it 
extended because of CV for a year.

a couple of questions i have are:

- the renewal form is due back by mid June, do i send it back asap (while F2F aren't quite back into the swing of things yet) or wait until nearer the time (does this extend the end date by a couple of months)?
- The CV pandemic has made his mental health worse as our children getting illnesses was a trigger for him and so he is
constantly worried now.  hasn't been out for well over a year (apart from the occasional walk). 
-Am i best off putting 'no change' or adding in the extra anxieties? (wondering which will is more likely to not have to go through a F2F)?

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Send it back as soon as it is complete and you have any evidence the extra time is due to delays in post and gathering evidence 

You should treat any review as a new application  and don't just tick no change.  Even if no change still derail how he is affected for each descriptor and certainly the worsening condition 

You may find it helps by looking This last report 

Good luck let us know how he gets on 

• THAAWT
    thank you so much for your advice, so do i tick the 'no change' box or leave it? (along with filling out the boxes like last time)
  • janer1967
    Tick it bur still put comments about each activity but if he has got worse then tick that box 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @THAAWT - & welcome to the community. I'm sure you'll find the advice above helpful. As the review form is quite short & doesn't leave much space for a detailed answer, you can just add extra pages at the end mentioning which question it may be a continuation about. Make sure you put your husband's name & national Insurance number on each page.
    it's important to give a couple of detailed real life examples as to the difficulty your husband faces for each applicable descriptor, e.g. what happens when he does/attempts an activity, how did any problem occur, why, who witnessed it, what, if any, were the consequences of attempting it? It's also important to say whether he can do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, can he repeat it as often as it would be reasonable to expect, does it take him longer than someone who doesn't suffer his problems?
    Have a look at the following link to give an idea as to the how to do a PIP form when someone has mental health issues. See: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/

• THAAWT
    thank you both again, very helpful replies :)
  • chiarieds
    You're most welcome @THAAWT - just to add completing a PIP review form with those detailed anecdotal examples for each applicable descriptor reduces the chances of needing a f2f , rather a phone assessment, or just a paper based assessment (which is less likely, but can happen). They can, but there's no guarantee, look at your husband's initial claim form, which is why you complete the form with as much detail as if it was an initial claim. Kindly let us all know how you get on. :)
  • THAAWT
    Thank you, the F2F is his worst nightmare, more so now as he literally hasn't seen anyone other than us in our household for well over a year.  So anything that will help hopefully avoid that is very much appreciated.
    so as an example if i tick the box 'no change' and then i would put 'Mr THAAWT (obviously i would put his real name) still needs prompting by me (his carer) to take his daily medication'
  • chiarieds
    Yes, that's fine (nearly), but say why he needs prompting, what would happen without this, have there been any instances where he had problems because you weren't there to prompt him, what exactly happened, etc?
  • THAAWT
    Ok, i didn't realise i would have to go into so much detail on the review (i remember the detail from originally applying) but now i know i need to do that on this too, i will do that, thank you
  • janer1967
    Hi 

Really examples are better eg everyday I have to prompt Mr x to take his medication , he would not take it if I didn't  reminded him and then he would have suffered with x as a result . I always have to prompt him   prepare his meds and watch him to make sure he has taken them 

On 3rd April I had to go out and I told him to take his meds at 12 but when I returned at 2pm he hadn't taken then resulting in him being in extreme pain until the dose took effect after I returned and he took them 

If you see what we mean by real examples 
  • THAAWT
    thank you @janer1967

with regards to medical evidence.  he sees a doctor about once every 6 months.  he was assessed by a psychiatrist a couple of years ago and classed as clinically depressed.  he had the set 10 sessions of CBT again a couple of years ago but that didn't help and they said they couldn't continue the sessions as there was a limit of 10.
    so we have no 'medical evidence' as such to send from the last year.  is that ok, is there anything i can add?  we have prescriptions with his medication listed.
  • janer1967
    Hi 

If you don't have medical evidence that's OK send prescription list 

You could also send in a statement from someone who sees him on a daily basis and could send in a daily diary 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    THAAWT said:
    ..do i send it back asap (while F2F aren't quite back into the swing of things yet) or wait until nearer the time (does this extend the end date by a couple of months)?
    Delaying returning it will not extend the end date. Just means it's more likely that your existing award will end before you get a new decision.

Provide as much detail as if it was a new claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Welcome to the Online community @THAAWT :)

Good to see that you've made a start finding your way around the forum and getting answers to some of your questions! I hope all the replies form our members have proved helpful to you?

Do drop us a line if you have any other questions or would like some more advice, and keep us posted with as to how you get on with your husband's PIP review. 
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • THAAWT
    Thank you, i will do :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.