Terrestrial TV down pan - cancel Licence? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Terrestrial TV down pan - cancel Licence?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
Do you find you put TV on out of habit?? OR HAVE YOU stopped the Licence??

Thinking of stopping licence. Pay 6 ahead and 6 months behind of year fee. Have couple months left and paid few months towards next.

Haven't bought tv magazine for many months and hardly look forward to any TV shows like in past.

Money can go to a film sub and utilise loads of my physical films, games, music and cloud films. Also catch-up bar the Beeb. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    If you won’t miss watching it and don’t use iPlayer, I’d go ahead and cancel it. There is no point paying for something you don’t use! I’ve heard of lots of people doing the same in recent times.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I feel the same way @fluffycat but I’d feel slightly cut off if that makes sense. People often strike up conversations about tv progs and I’d have nothing to say or I’d miss out on the breaking news of an alien invasion or something like that . 

Its a hard call.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    I feel the same way @fluffycat but I’d feel slightly cut off if that makes sense. People often strike up conversations about tv progs and I’d have nothing to say or I’d miss out on the breaking news of an alien invasion or something like that . 

Its a hard call.
    Being the first to hear about an alien invasion is my primary motivation for paying the licence fee I think :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SnooFloofs
    SnooFloofs Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I have never paid it nor will I ever I don't believe in the BBC after people whom it has employed and I don't watch live television. I wish they would abolish the licence altogether. 
  • fluffycat
    66Mustang said:
    If you won’t miss watching it and don’t use iPlayer, I’d go ahead and cancel it. There is no point paying for something you don’t use! I’ve heard of lots of people doing the same in recent times.
    I have done it, thanks.

Wish had done years ago. (thinking about it)

Can still get fix of non beeb on catch-up but spend time on gaming / films than just rolling tv (out of habit)
  • fluffycat
    leeCal said:

Its a hard call.
    Being the first to hear about an alien invasion is my primary motivation for paying the licence fee I think :D 
    Any big news my phone bleeps from various sources.

News is on catch-up upto an hour behind but snippets are on you tube for instance
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    For £3 a week I personally think its good value, we listen to BBC local radio and senior management watches TV for a couple of hours most nights
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    How do they know if you watch TV without a licence?

Obviously they can use location/IP address for streaming, but for the normal aerial?  :#
  • fluffycat

Obviously they can use location/IP address for streaming, but for the normal aerial?  :#
    Observe you watching live TV through Window / Door / inside (if let them in) or let slip you are being naughty.

They don't believe people do other stuff with TV and do send red letters, emails and come round I've heard.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger

i often used to wonder if the TV "Detector vans" actually worked, some how I doubt it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Ah yes, the old TV detector vans @woodbine

I too often wondered if the tech that they were supposed to carry in the back to seek out licence-fee dodgers was the stuff of myth and legend.  :D
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    My TV has clothes draped over it!   :D

I've not bothered with a license, I only actually use the TV on the odd occasion that I hook up my iPad to it.  Anyway, I thought terrestrial TV stopped being broadcast in 2012?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never seen a detector van!  Either before my time, or they didn't bother out in the stix where I used to live!  :D

• SnooFloofs
    SnooFloofs Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    That's because they don't exist and never have done it's all scare tactics to get you to pay they are basically sales men.

Brightness