ESA confusion — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA confusion

taffy58
taffy58 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I'm Taffy58, hope someone can help. On ESA income related  support group but no money due to the wife's wages, but credited NI stamp.
Got a phone call saying dont send any more payslips in ESA stopping.
That was it no explanation now I've been sent my P45. Phoned up was told got a live claim contribution only. Not sure what's happening, housing benefit been in touch want to know if I'm still on ESA. Not sure what to do any ideas.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have not been entitled to any payment for a long time due to the earnings then it doesn’t seem unreasonable to close the claim. You are still getting NI credits on the basis of LCW.

Just tell Housing Benefit and your ongoing entitlement, if any, will be assessed based on your circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taffy58 welcome to the forum, I would suggest giving them a ring tomorrow and ask what is happening, its only way your going to find out for sure, then you can know what situation your in, I hope every thing goes OK and let us know.
  • taffy58
    When dealing with Tax Credits or HB they just want to know if your on contribution based or income based ESA. When you say NI credits due to LCW, they just get confused.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    You are not receiving income based ESA, and apparently have not been for sometime. HB therefore should be worked out based on your joint financial circumstances because there is no automatic entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • taffy58
    Wife who worked through lockdown, wages are due to go down so payments would have started again. What happens when migrated to universal credit when on NI credits only ESA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.