Don't die of embarrassment: Bowel Cancer Awareness Month
In an interview we did with an NHS Bowel Screening Coordinator, we found out that
According to Public Health England, bowel cancer is the 4th biggest cause of cancer deaths in the UK, and many of these deaths may have been prevented if the cancer was detected at an early stage.
It's therefore vital that you're proactive in checking your bowel health. If you're 55 years old, you'll automatically be invited for a one-off bowel scope screening test if it's available in your area. If you're aged 60 to 74 years old, you'll automatically be invited to do a home testing kit every 2 years. If you're 75 or over, you can ask for a home testing kit every 2 years by calling the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60.
That being said, you should always go to see your doctor if you're worried about your bowels, regardless of your age.
What to look out forAccording to this NHS page on the symptoms of bowel cancer:
- a persistent change in bowel habit – pooing more often, with looser, runnier poos and sometimes tummy (abdominal) pain
- blood in the poo without other symptoms of piles (haemorrhoids) – this makes it unlikely the cause is haemorrhoids
- abdominal pain, discomfort or bloating always brought on by eating – sometimes resulting in a reduction in the amount of food eaten and weight loss
Symptoms of a bowel obstruction can include:
- intermittent, and occasionally severe, abdominal pain – this is always bought on by eating
- unintentional weight loss – with persistent abdominal pain
- constant swelling of the tummy – with abdominal pain
- being sick – with constant abdominal swelling
Have you attended your free bowel cancer screening? Do you have any worries about getting screened for bowel cancer? Have you found the bowel cancer screening process accessible? Could you spot the early signs of bowel cancer?
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
- 53.9K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 153 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 789 Work and employment
- 588 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 289 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 265 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.6K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.5K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 685 Chronic pain and pain management
- 704 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 937 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments