Who got PIP first time? What did you do differently to everyone else? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who got PIP first time? What did you do differently to everyone else?

fkennedy0689
fkennedy0689 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there, I'm curious to know who got pip first time? If so what did you do differently to everyone else, that was different? Xx

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Lots of people get it first time you just don't read about it on a forum 

I got it first time it's not about doing it dufferent it's about if you meet the criteria.  About how well you describe how your condition affects you against the descriptors and then giving real life examples on the form and during assessment 

See your other post with advice about doing a mr 
  • fkennedy0689
    I have done it like 6 times in total because pip aren't listening to what I say. I described every difficulty I have had, have written letters of things that I can't do and I need a break at this important time for it. There is nothing worse than that for me. So the points that I'm entitled to, I can't get. It's like the points like communication, etc which I can't get evidence to back it up. Any ideas as to how to approach this challenge please? Thanks Xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @fkennedy0689 hi and welcome to scope, are you saying you have applied 6 times for PIP? It's not always a good idea to send too much evidence in fact some applications succeed without any evidence, what you do send should always be relevant and as recent as possible.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fkennedy0689
    It is relevant! Any stuff that I have sent has been relevant to my case. I think it has been the points that have been messing me up. This time *keeps fingers and toes crossed!!* xx
  • fkennedy0689
    Does anyone know if PIP keeps stuff like evidence and what you have said on file? Xx
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @fkennedy0689, the DWP will have a record of any communication that you have had with them. When applying for PIP have you taken a self test on the benefits and work site.  Taking a self test and bring totally honest with your answers will give you a good idea how you may fare when you reapply. When filling in your application form give as much detailed information about your inabilities to preform the activities/ descriptors, giving examples of what happens when you try or attempt each descriptor. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    For most I'd say they either had an experienced rep fill in their forms for them or got lucky with the HCP/DM...

I simply don't believe that many first time claimers 'accidentally' get awarded without understanding exactly how the descriptors work and what they're looking for.  Obviously some people fit neatly into the descriptor boxes, and some have such severe conditions that they're undisputable, but for most, you either have to know what you're doing, or have someone with experienced to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    My mum was awarded first time. I helped with the application. What we ensured was:

1. We read about the descriptors and understood them. 
    2. We applied real life examples to the form. 
    3. Only sent appropriate evidence, which in fact was very little. 

We did do it ourselves and had no help. 

I think personally it’s about understanding. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    @fkennedy0689 if you have applied 6 times with no award you should get some proper advice. I don't think it's a case of luck, I applied and was awarded first time. I took my time with the application and asked for extra time to complete it. I did ask a friend to check what I had written made sense. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I was awarded PIP first time when transferred from DLA and got a higher award, very little evidence but lots of research, same with ESA when transferred from IB support group and after first review told no further reviews unless I report change circumstances.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.