Hi all - has anyone flown internationally without having covid test/wearing a mask? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi all - has anyone flown internationally without having covid test/wearing a mask?

yapa113
yapa113 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Is anyone here dealing with any neurological conditions? Also eye will be travelling soon but eye nor my daughter will be wearing a mask or taking a test. One of the airlines eye am flying with have said they would like me too provide information from a doctor outlining health conditions for myself and daughter though it is on the government website that re health a mask or test does not apply...has anyone dealt with flying internationally without providing this information mask and test free? If so any info would be welcomed. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @yapa113 - & welcome to the community. Yes, I have a neurological disorder, but we'll all be different. I presume by test, you mean a test for Covid-19? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't agree to that. I don't have an answer to your query, but my daughter is a travel agent, so I'll come back to you if she can shed any light on this.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @yapa113 and a warm welcome to our community.

The Government website confirms that some people don't have to wear a mask for impairment-related reasons:
    Face covering exemptions
    Some people don’t have to wear a face covering including for health, age or disability reasons.
    Government and some operators have produced cards and badges which you can choose to wear to show you are exempt. There is no requirement to do this, though, and if you rely on an exemption, transport staff should not ordinarily ask for evidence.

However to travel to some countries you would need proof of a negative test:

Entry restrictions
    There are restrictions in place on travel to some countries and what you can do when you are there. For example, you may need proof of a negative COVID-19 test to travel to some countries.
    Before you travel, you should:

Also read the following guidance:

Is there any aspect of having a test that is causing you concern?  

Just to advise - I've tweaked the title of your post to make it more visible to anyone who can offer support/has a similar question :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    From what the government have announced in wales if some one is traveling abroad they have to have a corona virus test and if they aren't exempt have to wear a mask if thry are exempt have to provide proof of not haveing to wear one 

When comeing back into Wales they have to be tested again and go to a designated hotel until the test results come back 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @lisathomas50 The rules for international travel are the same in Wales as they are across the rest of the UK according to this Welsh government webpage so the guidelines I posted earlier would apply :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    It’s not only about what the government says or even the airline but it’s about what individual countries say. You could get there and be turned away if they are not satisfied. I would ensure you do research in advance. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,015 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope I didn't see your post before I posted sorry  I only see the Welsh government things so I just say what I know about  sorry 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• yapa113
    yapa113 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited May 2021
    Note from moderator: this post contains inaccurate assertions regarding the safety of covid-19 testing. Please visit this government guide to covid-19 tests and testing kits for a current and evidence-based fact check of known concerns.

Gratitude one an all for info. Some information posted eye am aware of but there was a lot that was helpful. Eye don't wear a mask in the UK and choose not too have the test because of the harm etc surrounding it. Still trying too go around not consenting too the test etc as it's my sovereign right not too consent, flight is just a little over 2 weeks away.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm unsure as to what perceived 'harm' there would be in having a test for Covid-19......what 'harm' do you perceive? I was asked last summer to volunteer to have a test to see where Covid-19 was prevalent in the UK. It's a simple non-invasive test.
  • Cher_Alumni

Hi @yappa113

Thanks for posting and I'm glad some of the information on this thread helped with your initial query. 

Just to pick up on your fears around the safety of covid-19 tests: scientific evidence to date shows there is minimal risk to covid-19 testing, and this is addressed in more detail on this government guide to covid-19 tests and test kits page - with particular focus on concerns around the use of ethylene oxide in sterilising test swabs.  Equally, this BBC webpage fact checks and debunks many other false claims circulating on social media.  

With this in mind, I've added a small message to the beginning of your last post to indicate your assertion regards harm as inaccurate, with signposting to the government resource mentioned above.

As per our house rules, please bear in mind when constructing further posts to:

• Always check that information is correct and appropriate.
    • Not present opinions as facts.
    • Share reputable sources of information.

Although I appreciate you didn’t have any ill-intent when making your comment, by abiding by these rules we can ensure members are fully informed by factually correct information.  Many thanks.  

Brightness