Gastroparesis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gastroparesis

Options
deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
I thought I had got IBS but it has been getting worse. I have just been diagnosed with gastroparesis and am getting used to a new life using catheters and an ems machine which I am wired to most of the day. Has anyone else got gastroparesis?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @deb74

I'm not familiar with gastroparesis so did a little reading and it's where the "stomach can't empty in a normal way" due a suspected issue with nerves and muscles.  Sorry for me stating the obvious to you as I'm sure you already know (!) but just for others who might be reading :) Is the EMS machine (a muscle stimulator) helping?  Also, how are you coping with the new treatment regime?  I hope you have a gastro nurse on hand to contact with any issues.

I'm not sure if you're aware but there is a charity called Gift UK (Gastroparesis and Intestinal Failure Trust) who offer support and advice on their website, plus share others patient stories too.  While, Guts UK also have a good information page about the condition that you might like to read. 

Please let us know how you get on and I really wish you well.  I hope things settle for you soon.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • deb74
    Options
    Hi @Cher_Scope. It is a comordid condition associated with ME/CFS which I have had for 8yrs. I think it is quite a rare condition. Thanks for the links to the charity. I hadn't heard of it. The EMS machine seems to be working well. I am quite bloated and a bit uncomfortable at the moment but I am sure it will settle down soon.
  • deb74
    Options
    Hi @Cher_Scope. I had a look at the giftuk website and it was interesting to see how other people like with gastroparesis. I am Lucky I only have a mild version of that and my me/cfs is relatively mild as well. I feel a bit better than I did yesterday thank goodness!
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @debs74

I'm glad the GiftUK website helped - I take comfort from reading others stories too and yey for feeling better  :)  Look after yourself and please let me know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • deb74
    Options
    Thanks. I will let you know how I am getting on.

Brightness