Injured myself today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Injured myself today

MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
I actually am disgusted with people today. 

Someone barged passed me so fast that I was sent flying over some steps and landed on concrete flooring. 

I’ve hurt my knee, ripped my pants and my knee looks a mess. Ashamed to admit it too but think it was the shock I actually got up and walked away and cried. 

Not one person helped me!!! 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm really sorry to hear this @MarkN88 try and take it easy :heart:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,709 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh no @MarkN88, are you ok? can u walk with your injured knee? There some arrogant people about, sorry no-one helped you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry to hear this and hope you are OK 

It's awful nobody came to help I wonder if you stayed on the ground anyone would have come to help you ? 

Take care and if you have any concerns get medical attention
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    People don't seem to care about people these days x
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that Mark and hope you are ok? I'm sorry nobody stopped to help you, perhaps we've always been lucky but when I have had a seizure outside we have been overwhelmed by people offering help.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    edited April 2021
    Thanks everyone. I think I hit more places than I thought, I seem to be sore all over. No doubt I’ll be covered in bruises. 

It just seemed to shake me and I got very emotional. 

I’m home safe now. 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Mark. So sorry to hear that it’s awful nobody helped you.

A soak in a hot bath might help to relax you. Take care 
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    So sorry to hear that Mark.  People can be so careless.  Hope you’re ok!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh no @MarkN88! I hope you're feeling a little better now? 

Make sure you keep any cuts or grazes nice and clean, and put some ice on any swelling. Of course if you think you've badly hurt yourself, go and get checked out by a doctor. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    @Tori_Scope

Thanks. I’ve cleaned it up. I’ve taken quite a bit of skin off so trying to keep it clean as been a type one diabetic I’m prone to infection more and healing takes longer. 

If it starts looking bad or anything I will try and book in with the nurse practitioner. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Inconsiderate people do my head in, probably one of my biggest bugbears.  Don't understand how they seem completely oblivious to the impact they're having on others!

Where was this out of interest?  I'm surprised anyone was so close during the pandemic!

I do wonder if the Covid risk also put bystanders off helping you up.  Though they could have at least asked if you were ok.  I must admit, I have thought twice about helping people myself over the last year, and then ruminated over whether I should have should have helped or not afterwards.  (None of which were injury or life & death scenario's in fairness.)
  • MarkM88
    It was on a street coming from a LIDL. You go down a few steps to get onto the road leading back to mine. It was clear going down and just as I stepped onto the first step this lad came from behind and barged passed and I went flying. 

There was no one next to me but plenty passing the road that I basically fell next to. 

I know covid would probably have me thinking twice too but I would at least keep my two meters distance and ask someone if they were alright and if they had injured themselves badly if they needed an ambulance if I had seen it happen. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Just saw your post as I had my son & his wife around in the garden yesterday. I'm sorry for what happened, & that no-one came to at least ask if you were alright. I hope your skin heals up OK. I'm like you as far as my skin goes, everything takes much longer to heal due to having Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so I appreciate your concerns.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 keep the wounds clean pur some antiseptic cream on and a dressing 

Any signs of redness , if it feels hot to touch or you start to feel unwell get medical help 
  • MarkM88
  • Sandy_123
    How are you now @MarkN88 hope your not too sore, 
  • MarkM88
    @Sandy_123 yes that’s mainly the issue, although I’ve discovered I’m sore in more places than I first thought. 

Both my knees but mainly my left, down my leg and into my ankle and also my left arm. 

I think I’ve ended up on my left side more. 
  • Sandy_123
    @MarkN88 hopefully it heals soon and you feel better, don't let this put you off going out, just one idiot amongst thousand nicer people
  • MarkM88
    edited April 2021
    Sandy_123 said:
    @MarkN88 hopefully it heals soon and you feel better, don't let this put you off going out, just one idiot amongst thousand nicer people
    Yeah. I don’t know why but the whole incident just shook me right up. Took ages for me to calm myself down and stop feeling emotional. 
  • Sandy_123
    @MarkN88 it was probably the shock of it all. Specially falling down steps 

Brightness