Hi I'm wilma48! I get contributory ESA and PIP. Am I entitled to the disability premium on its own? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm wilma48! I get contributory ESA and PIP. Am I entitled to the disability premium on its own?

wilma48
wilma48 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi can someone please clear this up for me I’m confused I currently claim contributory ESA, I’ve just had pip review and I have enhanced rate for both. Am I entitled to the disability premium on its own ? 
I have a partner who works and I’m not on any income related benefits 
thank you in advance 
wilma48

Comments

• Boyden1964
    Boyden1964 Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    I am on contribution ESA I am single I don't get a disability premium only the extra amount that you get being in the support group I also claim universal credit which runs along side it I also get enhanced rate daily living and enhanced rate on mobility hope this helps 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    @wilma48 hi and welcome to scope, if you are thinking about SDP then you can't get that unless you are on Income related ESA.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Nor can you get the enhanced disability premium which is also income based ESA. As your ESA is contribution based you get the standard allowance and the Support Group component only. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilma48
    Thank you guys I’m new to claiming benefits and just wanted to ensure I was receiving everything I was entitled to. I just couldn’t get the disability premium clear in my head as I know I can’t get the enhanced or severe but I thought I read something that you can claim the other on it’s own lol just me being confused ?‍♀️ Thank you for clearing that up for me ?
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Disability premium does  not exist in ESA - even for those on income based ESA. It exists in income based JSA and Income Support (and Housing Benefit).
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-premiums-in-benefits
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilma48
    Lol see I’m rubbish at this but thank you that is clear now ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Welcome to the community @wilma48 :) I'm glad calcotti and woodbine have cleared that up for you. The beenfits system can certainly be confusing at times, so please do feel free to ask any further questions you might have, or join us for a chat in the coffee lounge.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • salfordgirl4321
    salfordgirl4321 Scope Member Posts: 36 Connected
    @calcotti if a person is on Income Based ESA support group and receives the enhanced disability Premium and also claims PIP Enhanced daily living and PIP Mobility Standard along with Severe Disability Benefit and also receives Housing Benefit payment towards cost of rent. Would this mean I could maybe be entitled to the Disability Premium seeing how I get Housing Benefit? Thanks 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    The Disability Premium is not a separate benefit. It is an amount included in the calculation of your benefit entitlement and would be included automatically. As you are income based ESA you will be getting maximum Housing Benefit anyway.
  • salfordgirl4321
    salfordgirl4321 Scope Member Posts: 36 Connected
    @calcotti. Thanks for your quick reply. I just thought I’d check about The Disability Premium. I know you said that if I was entitled to it, then it would of been included automatically in my benefits entitlement. I’ll just say that when I was awarded PIP Enhanced daily living award, they didn’t automatically include The Severe Disability Premium payment to my benefits entitlement. I had to ring the DWP and enquire if I was entitled to it after being told by a relative that I was entitled to it. Turns out I was,so they then awarded me it.
  • calcotti
    @calcotti. Thanks for your quick reply. I just thought I’d check about The Disability Premium. I know you said that if I was entitled to it, then it would of been included automatically in my benefits entitlement. I’ll just say that when I was awarded PIP Enhanced daily living award, they didn’t automatically include The Severe Disability Premium payment to my benefits entitlement. I had to ring the DWP and enquire if I was entitled to it after being told by a relative that I was entitled to it. Turns out I was,so they then awarded me it.
    The qualifying conditions for SDP are very specific and rely on you living alone or only with other people on disability benefits and as DWP do not know if this is the case it cannot be added automatically. Disability Premium entitlement can be identified more readily,

As advised, because you are on income based ESA you get maximum HB anyway so the Disability Premium is completely irrelevant.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.