Unpaid carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unpaid carer

Options
kano7481
kano7481 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,

Hope everyone doing well and safe.

I have a situation and need some advices please, I am getting universal credit and affected by the benefit cap, my sister is severly disable and getting PIP enhanced rate for both components and I am caring for her without any money for months, recently I have been told that if I care for a disable person more than 35 hours a week even if I am not getting carer allownce I should be exempt from the cap, and when I have checked the GOV website I found out that the exemption apply to me and I am elegible for carer element aswell, the thing is that I want to inform the universal credit about caring for someone so I can be exempt from the cap, but at the same time I dont want to be paid because I dont want that my sister disability premium to be affected and get less money.
I am really confused and worring if I do the change of circumstance in my account they will automatically add the carer element to my payment, is there any option I can choose if I want to be paid or not ?
If you could help please with any advice or information.

Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think you can be treated as a carer for UC and be exempt from the benefit cap without receiving the carer element.

Does your sister receive a Severe Disability Premium in a benefit? You only mention her receiving PIP, what else does she receive? How much money are you having deducted from your UC as a result of the benefit cap?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hello, if you claim Carer’s allowance the amount you receive will be deducted from your UC payments.The main thing of you yourself are not working your NI will be credited while your claiming CA. Your sister may lose part of her SD benefits. Your best bet is to phone the CAB benefits helpline general enquires. 08001448848
  • kano7481
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I don't think you can be treated as a carer for UC and be exempt from the benefit cap without receiving the carer element.

Does your sister receive a Severe Disability Premium in a benefit? You only mention her receiving PIP, what else does she receive? How much money are you having deducted from your UC as a result of the benefit cap?

Thank you so much for your reply.
    Yes she gets severe disability premium in ESA support group, and about £700 is taken off because of the cap.
    Please how my sister premium will be affected if I get the carer element ?
  • kano7481
    Options
    wilko said:
    hello, if you claim Carer’s allowance the amount you receive will be deducted from your UC payments.The main thing of you yourself are not working your NI will be credited while your claiming CA. Your sister may lose part of her SD benefits. Your best bet is to phone the CAB benefits helpline general enquires. 08001448848

I am not claiming carer allowance, you mean by losing part of her SD only money not other benefits granted because of the SD ?
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    kano7481 said:
    calcotti said:

Yes she gets severe disability premium in ESA support group, and about £700 is taken off because of the cap.
    Please how my sister premium will be affected if I get the carer element ?
    If you claim the carer element she must tell ESA and will lose the Severe Disability Premium. She will lose £67.30/week (equivalent to £291.63/month).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    wilko said:
    hello, if you claim Carer’s allowance the amount you receive will be deducted from your UC payments.The main thing of you yourself are not working your NI will be credited while your claiming CA. 
    Will already be getting NI credits through UC, albeit Class 3 rather than Class 1.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.