Backpay of carers element — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backpay of carers element

chellbo
chellbo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi my daughter applied for pip on 7th sept 20 . As soon as she was awarded it I applied and got child disabled element and carers element  first payment was April 5th 21 . I asked for both to be back dated to 7th Sept.  Just received letters today they have allowed child disabled element back pay but not carers element . Does anyone know why this could be and what the next step would be . Thankyou 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chellbo - & welcome to the community. I'm afraid I don't know the 'why' as to why the carer's element hasn't been backdated, other than the DWP make errors. As to what to do next, you can challenge the DWP's decision, which is called a Mandatory Reconsideration, asking for the carer's element to be backdated.
    Please see the following section from:
    A4220 In the case of UC where the claimant or a member of their family becomes entitled to another relevant benefit, ceases to be entitled or the rate of another such benefit alters then the superseding decision takes effect from the first day of the assessment period in which entitlement to the other benefit or an alteration in it’s rate arises or entitlement ends.
    Please let us know how you get on.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Unless you previously advised UC that you were caring for her you will struggle to get the carer element backdated. The procedure DWP expect is that you tell them if you are caring for someone. If that person subsequently gets a relevant benefit the carer element will be backdated to the date that benefit starts.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you earn over £128/week you could apply for Carer’s Allowance and get it backdated to September. UC should then backdate the carer element although there will be a UC overpayment to take into account when the CA itself is take into account as income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @chellbo :) Have you had a chance to take a look a the above advice? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chellbo
    chellbo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I received a note in my journal today .my work coach has sent in a mandatory reconsideration as they don't agree with the decision made . Thankyou all for your help will let you know the outcome 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the update @chellbo

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.