Injured myself today - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Injured myself today

Options
2»

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @MarkN88

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience. That's just not on, is it!

I think we can all well understand and empathise with you as to why it's taken a while to come to and calm down from that. How are you getting on today? Hopefully, some of the shock has passed? Though even that can have quite a significant impact and leave you feeling a bit worse for wear for a while sometimes. It might take a little bit longer for some of the anger and frustration to wear off though.  :s

Rest up and try to take it easy today, if you can. And please do make sure you're keeping an eye on those injuries. Is there anything you can do to try and take your mind off things, maybe? Apart from maybe penning a sternly worded letter and sending that in to your local newspaper?!? You never know. That might be something you feel like doing to get things off your chest! ;)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Just been resting on the sofa, keeping it all clean, elevating my leg and reading. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    That's good to hear @MarkN88

What's your reading material for today? Is it the Sunday newspapers, or a good book?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,596 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident and that no one helped you, that is shameful behaviour in my opinion.

I have to agree with @woodbine that I have usually seen people step in to help when someone has an accident or is taken ill in a public place. I am really surprised that no one bothered to help. I like to think @overlyanxious has a point that the pandemic has dissuaded people from getting too close to others and its not just ignorance but maybe that's being optimistic.

I hope you have been taking it easy.
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Just an update:

I contacted 111 who assessed me as needing to be seen in the urgent care centre which is next to the local A&E. When I got there they had received no information from 111 so said I would need to go through A&E so that’s what I did.

I was triaged and told to go over to minor injuries where I saw a nurse practitioner.

To be honest she didn’t seem too interested or bothered. She said her best guess was soft tissue damage and to rest and take paracetamol.

I did explain that’s what I’d done all weekend and it had not helped.

Maybe I need to do a follow up call with GP instead if no improvement soon?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @MarkN88 Ah dear, I'm sorry the A&E visit wasn't overly helpful.  I'd definitely recommend speaking with your GP in a few days time if you remain concerned and of course, if things suddenly worsen (fingers crossed they won't) seek more immediate medical help.  Here's a little NHS information sheet on soft tissue damage and how to best treat it, but it does sound like you're following all recommended steps :)

Fingers crossed for you feeling better soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,861 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its best to get it checked out properly, which I know you tried to do, see how it goes next few days then ring gp  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear you didn't get much useful treatment at hospital 

I agree a call to your gp may be the next step 

I rang mine last week about my sons infected toe for the 3rd time they asked me to send pics b4 gp rang and finally took me serious when they saw how bad it was . Now referred to have the nail removed,  have xray and blood tests 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you been able to contact your GP @MarkN88?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MarkM88
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Have you been able to contact your GP @MarkN88?
    Bit of a nightmare because of me moving home and also moving surgeries. 

I rang the new surgery who said everything wasn’t sorted yet so technically I’m under the care of my old surgery and then the old surgery say the opposite. 

I’m going to go crazy. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Oh what a nightmare @MarkN88. I'm not 100% sure what to suggest regarding the GP surgeries, but perhaps someone else will have some more information or experience. When did you sign up to the new surgery?

Do you have any walk-in centres near you? Could visiting a pharmacy help, in case they're able to suggest anything that doesn't require a prescription? 

• MarkM88
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I registered early April. I have requested the practice manager call me. 

In the meantime I think calling back 111 for further advice might be best. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Yes, it does seem odd that it would take so long @MarkN88. I switched GP recently. I chased them after 2 weeks to confirm they'd received my forms, and they confirmed that I was now a patient with them. 

111 is a good idea. Hopefully you'll have a better experience this time :) 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thry can still see you as a patient you just fill in a temporary residence form until everything is completed thats what I did and I only moved two doors down which meant I could go to the drs I wanted to go to 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    They were useless yesterday. 

Although I have secured an appointment it’s a telephone appointment which will probably mean if they want to examine me I’ll have to wait for a further appointment. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My docs let me send in pics last week of my sons infected toe nail so that might be something they could do
  • MarkM88
    Options
    @janer1967 good point I’ll take some just in case they ask. 
  • happyhippygirl
    happyhippygirl Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    So sorry you had a fall,Do hope you not in to much pain,pain killers and bag iced peas in a tea towel put on knee will help,let’s hope it isent to bad,?

Brightness