Hi, I'm freshwaterlilly. Are WCA not being carried out? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm freshwaterlilly. Are WCA not being carried out?

Options
freshwaterlilly
freshwaterlilly Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi 
I have UC basic I have been using food banks and do not have my heating on  over winter I am on medication for severe anxiety and depression also major panic attacks my husband has been arrested for stalking and harassment and assault 
my mental health has deteriorated to such an extent I don’t go out 
Iam being told by my mental health team my doctor and several advisors that I should be getting more help from UC I have several letters to provide to them 
I am being told by my work coach that no matter what the change of circumstances are they are not assessing anyone at the moment no reason or how long it will be before they do 
I have phoned them again they will not confirm why just that all assessment are not being done 
I just can’t understand how when you are desperate for help there is no one I have £200 a month to live on the rest goes on the mortgage I can’t get any help anywhere and when you know you should be assessed they leave you 
has anyone go any suggestions or have been in this situation 
I am really struggling and can’t cope anymore 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Have you reported a medical condition on your journal and sent in fit notes and completed the uc50 form? 

This starts the assessment process 

They are in fact doing phone assessments so I don't know why they say otherwise and f2f assessments are starting up again at end this month . Initially for those who have been unable to get a decision without f2f 

Hope this helps any other questions just ask 
  • freshwaterlilly
    Options
    hi 
    hi thanks for getting back to me I’ve done all that i fist reported it back in January 3rd my coach told me it would be at least 90 days it’s now the middle of April my coach is telling me that they are not doing assessment and when I rung them they said the same I have gone online and made a complaint but nothing they said I will not be assessed I don’t know what else I can do 
    how do I fill in a u50 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Your coach should refer you for a work capability assessment once you have given a fit note for at least 28 days 

They will then send you the uc50 form to complete and send back 

You won't get any assessment until the form is sent 

Your coach seems to have no idea what the process is which is often the case

You need to ask her why you have not had a uc50 form and say you have been advised of the process and don't think if has been followed 

Insist on speaking to the manager if need be 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @freshwaterlilly

Welcome to the community, I'm glad you've joined us. 

I'm sorry to read you're struggling at the minute, hopefully being a apart of this community will help you feel better. 

If finances are a concern for you at the minute, have you considered contacting Scope's Energy Support service, who would be able to advise you on how you could lower your bills, it can't be easy not having heating on in the winter. Furthermore, are you receiving all the benefits that you might be entitled to? You haven't mentioned PIP in your post for example, you can use a benefit calculator to check what you might be able to get.

I'm sorry to read that your husband was arrested for those things, can I please ask if you are and have been safe? You didn't mention who was the victim of those things he did, and I just wanted to check if everything is alright with you? 

You mentioned:
    "m being told by my mental health team my doctor and several advisors that I should be getting more help from UC I have several letters to provide to them"

Is there any additional support you receive at the minute as well as from your mental health support team and your GP? And I hope the support they are currently giving you is enough to effectively manage your mental health. In the meantime, you might find reading information from a place like Mind useful.

I have moved your discussion to our Universal Credit category so I'm sure that other members will get back to you shortly. You might wish to contact places like Advice Local or Welfare Rights to access further benefit related advice.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • freshwaterlilly
    Options
    thank you for answering me
    i can’t get any other help all I get is council tax discount 
    my husband stalked and harassed me he also physically assaulted me 
    two and a half years ago I left a domestic abuse relationship which I was in for almost 15 years i was already on medication for anxiety and depression but that has become so much worse in the two years I left him
    he has used the system to cripple me financially I am in substantial debt because I’ve had to pay privately for a solicitor until recently 
    I have medication to help my stress and panic attacks that are so frequent I do not go out anymore I feel if I take anymore medication I will become a zombie 
    there are days when I just do not want to be here and the DWP have added to my illness they 
    do not want to help me 
    I have given them sick certificates from the onset and January my health deteriorated to such a level I just couldn’t cope anymore the mental health team have been helping me and I am now getting help
    this situation with the DWP is unbelievable really when it’s even more important to help people in these times they are turning their back on people who really do need help
    ive tried everything I’ve reported a change of circumstances so many times I’ve produced sick certificates I have many letters supporting me and have written a formal complaint I am being told by almost all other agencies including scope that the DWP are still doing assessment over the phone in my case they are definitely not going to do that

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @freshwaterlilly

You mentioned that you were the victim of abuse at the hands of your husband, was this reported? And are you safe from him now? You might wish to consider accessing the National Domestic Abuse helpline, or seek peer support  from those who may have been through similar experiences to you through RISE.

You described him as having financially crippled you, which I’m sorry to read. Have you received any support from family or other loved ones since leaving him, whether that be financially or emotionally? The Money Advice Service are a great place to find out useful information and access support with finances. You mentioned that you have been paying privately for legal representation until recently, does this mean you were able to find affordable or free representation?

In your latest comment you mentioned that “there are days when I just do not want to be here” which is a shame to read, are your mental health support team and GP supporting you effectively through this tricky time? It’s good that you have the mental health support team, but please consider resources like Samaritans (who you can call on 116 123) or Shout “who you can contact by texting “Shout” to 85258) if you ever want to talk to somebody instantly.

You can also find useful advice here from Mind about how to cope. And Scope’s helpline is there too if you want to talk things through.

I have sent you an email with additonal information, but as I mentioned previously you may wish to access Advice Local or Welfare Rights, in order to find some expert advice for your benefit claim.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • freshwaterlilly
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply 
    sadly I have to say in over 2 years from separation from my abusive husband there is no help 
    I fall through every crack and if there is not one I will make one
    i have tried every organisation and helpline including the ones you have suggested 
    the police made my situation worse and the family courts have let this man almost destroy me
    without my family and a few close friends I would have financially gone under 
    my doctor and the stalking helpline have been amazing and my local mental health team who now are getting me help
    i am severe debt to a private solicitor and I have now got legal aid as the criteria has changed since January it’s not free and I will have to pay it back 
    unless your circumstances are exceptional there is no free legal aid anymore 
    the more I read on your discussion boards it’s probably a waste of time trying to get an assessment from UC as it seems you have to be almost dead before they will help you past 
    the basic amount they can get away with I just feel that having all this extra stress trying to even get an assessment is so cruel and unfair to people who really need a bit of genuine help
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @freshwaterlilly

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry to hear that accessing support in-relation to the abuse was challenging.  It's good you have your family and close friends there for you.  They can be an absolute godsend can't they?

Just to clarify, have you received a UC50 form?  You will need this to be referred for the WCA.  Also, It's important that you carry on submitting continuous fit notes as WCA are definitely still going ahead, albeit via telephone or paper-based at the moment.  Have you ever had a WCA before?  I say this because re-assessments are taking longer to process.

I understand you being disheartened but please don't give up nor let it drop.  It's important you get the money you're entitled to so if you continue to come up against resistance you could ask to speak with a disability employment advisor at your local job-centre plus or also contact your local MP to get there support.  

Please let us know how you get on and good luck. 

Just to add - I've tweaked the title of your post slightly to let others see what your original query was so they can offer help too :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• freshwaterlilly
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for your reply
    finally my work coach phoned me today apologised for what has happened saying it was to do
    with a communication problem and that they will send out a UC50 form today 
    it always amazes me how it’s always in their favour not to assess someone they would soon act 
    if I told them I won the lottery 
    I have to make umpteen phone calls make an official complaint keep adding to my journal ringing loads of helplines, just for something that should take place automatically 
    I hate being on benefits and I hate being so ill as I’ve become because of an abusive husband and a broken system but I am so pleased that I have found this forum to help me 

• janer1967
    Options
    That's great news at least the ball is rolling 

Get the form completed and sent back then you will need to wait for assessment date 

People are waiting a while for assessments so don't expect a quick turnaround 

If you do get awarded the additional lcwra payment it will be backdated to the 4th assessment period after you reported the condition 

A long way off yet but fingers crossed 
  • freshwaterlilly
    Options
    hi
    i got the UC50 form I’ve looked at it but there are some questions I am not sure how to answer properly also is it ok to send supporting letters with the form?
    They sent a pre paid envelope to send it back 
    I think I will send it recorded delivery as things have a way of not getting to the DWP
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi 

There is no need to send recorded just get proof of postage 

Dwp don't actually sign for recorded anyway it is signed by royal mail sorting centre so still doesn't mean it has got to dwp 

Yes you can send supporting letters bear in mind they are looking at your capability for work 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    ... is it ok to send supporting letters with the form?
    From the front page of the form

“Send copies of all your medical or other information back with your questionnaire. We do not always contact your medical professionals so this information is important, and should let us know how your disability, illness or health condition affect how you can do things on a daily basis. A list of information we find helpful is on page 5.”
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.