Oh my. Getting tested for autism at the age of 40 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Oh my. Getting tested for autism at the age of 40

Ibelive2020
Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
edited April 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have felt out of place for years just had a phonecall for 45 mins and now at the age of 40 Im getting tested for AUTISM so shocked ?
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure this must be a lot to take in @Ibelive2020. How do you feel about it, or is it just a feeling of shock at the moment? Is this something you'd thought might be a possibility before?

I've moved your discussion into our category for discussions relating to autism, and tweaked the title slightly so that other members can find it more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @Ibelive2020 - hope you're OK. With you saying you've felt 'out of place for years,' perhaps this is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle? I've mentioned before that when my son was about 20 he saw a neuropsychologist, who said he wouldn't diagnose him, but he was right next door to Asperger's. My son said he was the first Dr that really 'got' him, & he didn't mind going back 6 months later to see him again. I think, from experience with my son, it doesn't change anything, but it can help explain. :)
  • Ibelive2020
    @Tori_Scope im shocked but think I have known Deep Down that I have been different its sad really @chiarieds I have a really good support team so I agree with you yes its The missing jigsaw piece 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That must have been a shock let's hope the tests give you some answers either way 
  • Ibelive2020
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, hopefully this will help you to understand yourself and your experiences a bit better @Ibelive2020. The process for getting diagnosed can take a while, have they indicated how long you might have to wait? Are you on the waiting list for an assessment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • spankie76
    spankie76 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I know this might sound a daft question but what is the usual procedure for getting a diagnosis is there tests they normally do or is there a set amount of appointments you have before they give a diagnosis.
  • LukeChester
    LukeChester Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Oh, I can understand your shock. It's so unexpected news... But I'm sure that every person can find their place in this life and every person deserve happiness, even with all the obstacles.
    Have you ever seen the movie Rain Man? People usually speak about autism as a child disorder, but this film is about an adult autistic man. If you're interested, you can have a look at this detailed review - I just liked it and decided to watch the movie after. Maybe, it'll be interesting for you too.
    Anyway, I hope you'll find a way to overcome all your difficulties and enjoy your life.
  • Jomiranda
    Jomiranda Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Hi my Son aged now 31yrs has just been Referred for ASD after we had wanted this to happen for many years now. Due to not being informed by anyone at 6/7yrs old & diagnosed with Developmental Dyspraxia, as the years went on & struggling at School with minimal help, some class helper. I wish that more info was given back then to us, that we could just ask Gp for an ASD Assessment. Instead of at age 19yrs Early Intervention in Psychosis, much upset, being taken advantage of by so called friend or two. Limited Communication, Social Skills. My Son has been Bullied all through Middle to Upper & now Because of mine & hubbys continued Support, lives independently but has been Alone, Lonely, miss read, miss understood, feels unwanted & crying out out for a Girlfriend that understands & Cares. Hopefully I have stumbled across a Person who can help sort alot of Support in his Flat & Buddy system daily I &  out & about. 
  • Jomiranda
    Jomiranda Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Sorry, I really hope you get diagnosis & real Support. Best Wishes x

Brightness