I need to secure wheelchair accessible accommodation quickly. Anyone got any suggestions? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need to secure wheelchair accessible accommodation quickly. Anyone got any suggestions?

Options
ChazWheels20_21
ChazWheels20_21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Urgent support & help -  I have secured a permanent NHS job in South Devon. However, i had to give up my rented flat when my previous employer discriminated against me. I'm currently taking them to a tribunal.

I need to secure some accessible accommodation within 15 miles commute of Newton Abbot. I'm looking to rent a wheelchair accessible room or to flat share etc. I have approx 3 weeks to start my new role.

If anyone can help or who have suggestions it would really be appreciated. I have done all the usual such as rent rooms, gumtree, flat share etc

Many thanks in anticipation

Kirk

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Have you tried talking to the charity shelter they deal with trying to help homeless which I know you are not but they may he able to help 

There is a high degree of unavailable accessible properties unfortunately 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @ChazWheels20_21 if you speak to the HR people in the new job they will be able to put you in touch with the hospital accommodation office. Most large hospitals have temporary accommodation for new clinical staff on a short term basis and they may be able to help you in the short term. In my experience the accommodation is usually booked way in advance but if you explain your circumstances they might be able to help. They usually have basic single rooms with en suite facilities. 

• ChazWheels20_21
    ChazWheels20_21 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    That's great

Many Thanks

Brightness