Should I mention the time it takes me to walk places, as well as distance, during my assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I mention the time it takes me to walk places, as well as distance, during my assessment?

saversam
saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, wondered if anyone can advise me please. I went for a regular check up at the hospital yesterday.  I,m dropped at the entrance & have to walk directly to a private room along a straight corridor approximately 25 metres. ( from entrance to room). The nurse always has a chair ready for me to sit down. Because I am always  extremely breathless. I  timed my self & it took 1 minute 8 seconds . When I have my assessment next week, is the time  something I need to include along with the distance?  

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it won't do any harm the assessor may raise the issue anyway.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Yes, time is a factor. The reliability test for PIP includes being able to do things in a timely fashion which is taken to be twice the the twice that a person without difficulty would be expected to do the activity in.
    Relaibly is explained towards the bottom of this
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Your speed of about one third of a metre a second is very slow. i suspect you could not it repeatedly either even at that speed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • saversam
    Thank you.  I thought that might be the case, just wanted to double check.  I,m at the stage were i,m questioning everything i,ve written down! 
  • saversam
    woodbine said:
    Yes it won't do any harm the assessor may raise the issue anyway.
    Thank you for your input. Starting to question myself! 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @saversam I can understand that, I think most of us have been there ! Now you have done it and I assume sent it in the best bet is forget it now until the assessment, easier said than done I appreciate that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• saversam
    woodbine said:
    @saversam I can understand that, I think most of us have been there ! Now you have done it and I assume sent it in the best bet is forget it now until the assessment, easier said than done I appreciate that.

Thanks yes easier said than done! It,s all consuming. I really don,t know what I did with my time before applying for Pip!  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @saversam - what you've just described is an excellent example to give in next week's assessment as far as your mobility goes, including the fact of your breathlessness. Keep making notes, & check against your PIP claim form to see where you need to add those couple of detailed real life examples to better illustrate exactly why you have difficulty with any applicable activity. My best wishes for next week. :)
  • saversam
    Thank you very much for that. It really is appropriated
  • saversam
    Sorry appreciated! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.