How long to get an assessment for LCW/LCWRA? Confused about my son's UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long to get an assessment for LCW/LCWRA? Confused about my son's UC

Options
cjs1111
cjs1111 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello.
My 17 year old son who cannot attend college due to ill health has today put a UC claim in after getting a 3 month sick note from my GP. I have also told CB and CTC about him leaving education as I would owe them money then. How long for this assessment once he has been referred for it to see if he can get the LCWRA/LCW? When he was 16 and at college we put in for ESA New style credits (advised to by CAB)  and was granted LCW (they needed more information for the SG but we didn’t send) these credits have now ended so will we have to be reassessed again anyway even though that decision was made within the last year.

Sorry for this long post I’m very confused. Thank you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

His lcw should transfer over to uc but there is no additional payment for this on uc 

If he is trying to get lcwra report a medical condition  in uc and send in fit notes this may trigger assessment 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I am not clear from the opening post if the LCW was terminated because they didn't send in additional information requested. If so there is no status until a WCA decision is made. 

If not perhaps they just mean the ESA credits have stopped because of claiming UC.

To answer the opening question - it's all supposed to happen within three months but there are no fixed timescales and currently there are lengthy delays.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cjs1111
    Options
    Thank you for the kind replies. Last year in April after his 16th Birthday we put in for new style ESA under advice from CAB because it’d be a help if he left college early they said in regards to UC. My son received a letter from ESA saying ‘You have LCW but this will be a credits only claim’, as it was only LCW and not LCWRA this has now ended (365 day). Today we put the UC claim in and I’m very worried about it all. We have the 3 month sick note after talking to the doctor. I’m not sure that it will transfer over and I am worried I have made a mistake with everything as I will be getting less than usual on CTC. 

A very unusual situation, how long till an assessment if he needs one please?

Thank you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If can take a while for an assessment depends on backlogs 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    cjs1111 said:
    My son received a letter from ESA saying ‘You have LCW but this will be a credits only claim’, as it was only LCW and not LCWRA this has now ended (365 day). 
    That isn’t correct. Payment of ESA for LCW will end after 365 days but credits only will not. Credits only will only end of a further WCA finds him fit for work.
    cjs1111 said: A very unusual situation, how long till an assessment if he needs one please?
    As per my previous reply
    To answer the opening question - it's all supposed to happen within three months but there are no fixed timescales and currently there are lengthy delays.

cjs1111 said:.. I am worried I have made a mistake with everything as I will be getting less than usual on CTC. 
    Don’t think you have any choice. When he left education you had to inform CB and CTC and as he would no longer be a Qualifying Young Person you would not be entitled to receive them.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cjs1111
    Options
    Thank you all very much.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.