Herbal teas — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Herbal teas

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
Hi does anyone drink herbal tea? if so which one? Do you drink it for health reasons or because of taste? I'm drinking cardamon tea at the moment and it has lots of health benefits and tastes nice also relaxing.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I like fruit teas but not really had any herbal tea 
  • Sandy_123
    I've had fruit teas there's refreshing, mint tea is nice, fresh mint, hot water lemon slice. Ginger tea is good 8f your feeling sick too.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I havent tried any of them only tea I normaly drink is either Earl Grey tea or lady grey tea 
  • Sandy_123
    I'm not a fan of earl grey, tried it a few times. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not a big fan of herbal teas. I do always have some lemon, ginger, and manuka honey tea in for when I'm ill with a cold, as I find it soothes my throat a little. Not sure if that counts as herbal tea though! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Sandy_123 some people say Earl Grey has a perfume taste inlove it though lol ? x
  • Sandy_123
    edited April 2021
    @Tori_Scope yeah ginger, lemon, not seen honey tea, mint teas are good for digestion,  green tea is meant to break down fat in  your body, but I guess you'd need lots of it to get effect. Everybody i meant 
  • Sandy_123
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    If I had green tea lol I would disappear  lol I am only 7 stone 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Herbal tea is my go-to for an afternoon cuppa @Sandy_123 :)

Weans me off the early-mid morning black coffee routine. And helps me to feel as though I'm slowly unwinding towards the end of the day.

Particularly fond a summer berry tea. In fact, that's what I've got on the go at the mo!

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    @Caz_Scope they are refreshing and I love the minty ones, saying that I love me normal cuppa too which is what I'm making at moment. 
  • LukeChester
    LukeChester Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I'm a coffee lover ;) But frankly speaking, if I want to drink something closer to a night or I am just thirsty, I usually choose carcade tea (for summer) or green tea with mint and lemon. Really refreshing.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I sometimes drink Oolong tea, so caaaalllllmmmming ?☺️?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    edited May 2021
    Lol @leeCal ill have to try it.
    @LukeChester welcome to the forum and im a coffee snob, but I do likes teas too.
  • LadyL
    LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    @Sandy_123 I put fennel teabags in my decaf cup of tea. Does that count...?

When I was younger, my mum used to make tea on the stove with fennel seeds, cardamom and sometimes cloves.

Due to my RA and living alone, I find that fennel teabags are quicker to use and therefore much more convenient. Especially if you're just making one cup at a time or a pot of tea just for yourself.

I've also tried ginger teabags on their own, which really helps nausea, but can be quite strong. Alternatively, when I used to feel unwell, my mum would cut a slice of ginger and boil it up with the tea. For stomach pain or discomfort my mum would just boil up some fennel on it's own.

I really do love the taste of fennel in my regular decaf tea though, even when I am feeling well. :love:

Chamomile is also quite nice occasionally, sometimes with a little honey. :smile:
  • Sandy_123
    @LadyL wow your mom sounds great boiling all those together. Its great knowledge knowing what to use and what for. My mother in law used to give my kids fenel tea in their bottle if they weren't too good. She's about 90 now and the knowledge must of come from some great grandma's. I'll have ginger tea if I'm feeling sick. We make a lot of fresh mint tea grown in garden. We'll it grows it self. Put in hot water with a slice of lemon. Chamomile tea very relaxing. 
    I use lots of these in cooking  too ginger garlic cloves in the rice. Always turmeric, great health benefits, turmeric seems to have taken off as a supliment recently, but its a devil  to get out the kitchen unit if u spill it, they use it for clothes dye in India too, as well as cookin. 
    The tudor era swore by herbs, 
  • LadyL
    LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    edited May 2021
    @Sandy_123 Thank you. :) I think you're right about the knowledge being passed down. My mum used to give me fennel in a bottle too when I was a baby as she said I suffered from colic. 

My parents also have fresh mint in the garden, as my mum always says it's good for your digestive system.  They use chopped mint to make a chutney with diced fresh tomatoes, diced onion, plus salt and chilli (a tiny bit when I have it as I can't eat really spicy food) to season and serve it with curries. Or sometimes a little can be used in yoghurt or to season boiled new potatoes. My sister likes fresh mint tea too. As for garlic and ginger, it is a staple in my mum's cooking too, with turmeric for curries. My mum is a fan of cloves in rice too, but I just prefer garlic and onions in mine.

Lol, I totally understand what you mean about the turmeric. I have OCD so find it annoying when I end up with a tiny turmeric stain on my clothing when I have a curry even though I tried to be really careful. Luckily, it does come out in the washing machine. :lol:
  • Sandy_123
    @LadyL I always have to bleach it to move it off counter tops, then there is those dreded days when it falls out the cupboard on the floor. I mean, thats my fault having too many things In.
    I use mint for chutney too, cloves give the rice a nice flavour and  fresh cinnamon. Also if you have tooth ache you can chew on fresh clove. I dare say its as good as the clove oil. All these things are full of goodness.
  • Katharine_Alumni
    Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Usually peppermint. I had some herbal teas but I love fruit teas - summer fruits or something like that. Equally, I have just bought some teas that should hopefully aid sleep - some Twinnigs teas :) so I'll let you know how I get on. Going to try one tonight
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways

Brightness