Benefit Money — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit Money

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,

I'm just wondering. If someone was single and claiming PIP full rate on mobility and daily living. Housing benefit at £159 per week plus ESA full rate with severe disability premium, is £35K gross per annum a lot of money for a single person? It's £2,200 each month after any tax

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I'm not sure where tax would enter into the equation as HB and PIP aren't taxable, only cont. based esa is taxable and you have a tax free allowance of just over £250 per week.
    But I have to say that many families would be over joyed to have an income of £35,000 a year, so for a single person it's great, depending that is on your fixed outgoings.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    woodbine said:
    Hi I'm not sure where tax would enter into the equation as HB and PIP aren't taxable, only cont. based esa is taxable and you have a tax free allowance of just over £250 per week.
    But I have to say that many families would be over joyed to have an income of £35,000 a year, so for a single person it's great, depending that is on your fixed outgoings.

Not that I'm complaining but I've always wondered why so much. Is this the average wage? From what I've calculated if I was able to work full time 5 days per week, this is £106.46 per day, or £13.31 per hour at 40 hours per week. That's after paying any taxes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a bit confused £2,200 per month does not equate to 35k it is just over £26k 

I'm a single parent in similar situation and I don't get 35k per year and get all same elements with child element extra 

35k is above average wage
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    janer1967 said:
    I'm a bit confused £2,200 per month does not equate to 35k it is just over £26k 

I'm a single parent in similar situation and I don't get 35k per year and get all same elements with child element extra 

35k is above average wage

Sorry that's my actual spending money. My net income
  • janer1967
    Still don't get it as you don't pay tax on benefits apart from contribution based esa 
  • janer1967
    Regardless of the calculations it is a lot for single person 

But if you deduct all the disability elements which ars there for additional costs due to disability there would be a huge difference for a non disabled single person 
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    janer1967 said:
    Still don't get it as you don't pay tax on benefits apart from contribution based esa 

I just mean that if I was not on benefits, to be able to get a gross on 35K would take some going for some but even people on benefits don't get this much net benefit
  • tcellmutation
    janer1967 said:

I just mean that if I was not on benefits, to be able to get a gross on 35K would take some going for some but even people on benefits don't get this much net benefit

I don't mean to pry but what costs do you have on a monthly basis?
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    I am not able to drive so I do not have that as an outgoing expensive. Things are delivered. That's £260 a month plus fuel.
  • janer1967
    I agree and unfortunately lots of people working or on benefits really struggle to make ends meet and get no where near the amount you are so be thankful you are not in their position 
  • tcellmutation
    janer1967 said:
    I agree and unfortunately lots of people working or on benefits really struggle to make ends meet and get no where near the amount you are so be thankful you are not in their position 

I know you mean well but I would give all the money i receive to have my heath back. I really would.
  • janer1967
    Same here would rather be able to work and walk and drive and see 

My costs are not relevant benefits are calculated on entitlement based on your circumstances and not on what your outgoings are 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.