I was unsuccessful with my PIP claim, but I'm disabled and care for my disabled child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was unsuccessful with my PIP claim, but I'm disabled and care for my disabled child

saqi
saqi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i would like to share my story...i have multiple health issues..recently daignose cardio vescular deases..and waiting for emergencey CABG surgery..i applied PIP ..because i am morher of disable child with my health issues and need care too..but PIP refuse on ground..oh you can do simple things in the house and in every thing they award me "0" ....i was shocked.. as i was coping with disable person my health issues ..and in my house hold everyone is vulnerable
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately pip only looks at your conditions and how they affect your daily living and not about the fact you care for others 

The fact you are able to care for a disabled child may demonstrate you are able to carry out the activities 

Have you looked into claiming dla for your child if they would qualify 

Also you may want to contact children's services to see if there is any care they can provide 

You can also appeal the pip decision if you think you are entitled 

Let us know how you get on
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @saqi :) Are you in receipt of any other benefits? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • saqi
    saqi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    income support and carer allowence i get 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    To many people assume or are I’ll informed that they may or do qualify for the benefit PIP but are unaware that PIP is  not awarded on a disability, diagnosis or the amount of prescription medication you are taking.,PIP is awarded solely on your inability to preform the PIP activities, descriptors in safely, repeatable and in a timely manner for over 50% of your daily live. When applying claimants need to give real examples of what happens when you try or attempt the activities of the PIP descriptors.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Hello @saqi and welcome to the community :)

Thanks for sharing your story. As you can see, a few of our members have dropped you a reply with a bit more information as to how PIP works. Has that helped to clarify your PIP decision for you?

Depending on your circumstances, it could be worth your while to consider alternative options though. There's some suggestions above and I've also included a link to Scope's Benefits calculator, in case you want to think about applying for a different type of benefit.

Hope that's helpful? Do get in touch if you have any more questions about anything.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.