Savings over 6k — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Savings over 6k

faydhar
faydhar Community member Posts: 63 Connected
Hi can anyone give me some advise. I have just received  a large cheque for a refund of ppi it takes me over 6k but below 16 k I asked for some advice  on another site and was told if I pay debt off and it goes below my assessment period for the month the cheque clears then I will not  have  to notify uc of the money  I just should keep proof that I have used the money to pay debt off and haven't derpived  myself of capital.  So my assessment  period is  12th to 11th of each money my cheque will be cleared by the 7th I will pay all debts like rent arrears council tax arrears water arrears  etc on the 7th which will take me below 6k before my monthly assessment period has ended so there will be nothing to report as I won't have saving over 6k by then .is this correct I do not want to do this then get in to trouble 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    With UC you are allowed to repay debt.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• faydhar
    But would I still have to declare that money even though it will be going  towards debt on the day its cleared so my bank will be only over the 6k for a couple of days 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
  • faydhar
    I have looked at turn to us for information  already it just tells you that you have to declare when you have over 6k but as the 6k will be going in then straight out all within the same assessment  period then inwas told I don't need to declare it  .because they will then still class you as having over 6k even tho you don't anymore 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I would contact welfare rights with your query 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think you need to inform UC because your entitlement is based on the last day of your AP and paying off debts is expressly not deprivation of capital for UC.
    However UC may at some future date identify that you received the money and may then ask you about it so keeping clear record of the money you received and what you have used it for is prudent.

If you wish to you can put a note in your journal about it but I would probably do this after the event and simply state that you are letting them know that you received x and have used y to pay off debts. They may then ask for further confirmation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.