I'm being moved to UC. I've got my 'first commitment' appointment next Friday. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm being moved to UC. I've got my 'first commitment' appointment next Friday. Any advice?

Mgt1958
Mgt1958 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi folks, I have been in the ESA support group for quite while. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia/neuropathy and find, despite the numerous problems they create, my quality of life isn't as bad as some. I'm 62, live with my dog, Henry, and am an independent sort - sometimes to the point of stupidity. I moved house recently and was told the window that meant I avoided Universal credit ( I had a severe disability premium) had now closed. I knew very little about UC so assured myself all would be well, until I read the assessment method and criteria. I can do all of the things on it, but not all at the same time and none on an every day, week in week out basis. If I took a steady full or part time job I'd be horribly unreliable. I'm from an agricultural background, I'm fine if it's the odd day here and there, but in the past it's been people who know me and ask fully aware I might not manage. I have my 'first commitment'  appointment next Friday, I'm increasingly nervous and would really appreciate some advice. Many thanks, Margaret 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Most work coaches will adjust your work commitments and come to some agreement with you 

I'm no expert but I thought your support group moved over with you to uc so make sure you discuss this with your work coach 

May be worth giving welfare rights a call b4 your appointment 

Others here will advise as well who know more about changing over 
  • Mgt1958
    Thank you, that's reassuring to know. I'm so uninformed it's dawning on me how much I live in my own little world, hardly glancing up. I spuddle along, try my best to manage my limitations with a smile,  and not 'spread the misery' as a friend calls it. I rarely watch TV, and then it'll only be Mr Portillo on his train journeys or Repair shop, I listen to a Christian radio and mess about with my dog. I'm mostly on my own because it's simpler and less confusing. Wow, reading that, don't I sound interesting?!! But suddenly I'm confronted with something completely new and I can't do my usual Ostrich impersonation! I sound clueless, because, I am.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    If you were in the ESA Support Group at the time you claimed UC you should be treated as having LCWRA from the start of your UC claim. This means the LCWRA element should be included in the calculation of your entitlement and you should have no work related requirements at all.

I would expect your claimant commitment to consist of no more than checking your journal regularly and keeping them informed about any changes.

DWP can reassess you at any time. The assessment criteria for a LCWRA are the same as for ESA Support Group.

If you still met the qualifying conditions for SDP at the time you claimed UC then your UC calculation should also include an SDP transitional element.

(Presumably you told them you were receiving ESA and also reported your health condition as part of the UC claim.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Mgt1958
    Thanks again. Yes I included the details of which benefits I had and listed my health problems. I asked about transitional payment and my advisor didn't know anything about it. She got back to me asking me to confirm I had a carer for at least 35hrs per week. I explained I relied on my daughter, church family and friends because my condition was so variable

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Mgt1958. How did your commitment meeting go? 
    As Calcotti mentioned, as you were in the Support Group on ESA when you moved to UC you should automatically be awarded LCWRA, meaning you have no work commitments. Did they set you any work search commitments?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.