UC WORRY + 19 year old — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC WORRY + 19 year old

woodst
woodst Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi another UC worrier and feel its quite complicated.  My son is on high rate PIP and still at college.  He has an EHCP and would like him to stay in college for as long as possible as other than this he doesn't have any sort of life, no friends etc.  I currently get the housing paid, support for one child element £281, Disabled child element £400.29 and care element £162.  I work part time to support him, he cant travel on his own or be left on his own.  What happens when he turns age 19 does this all stop?  These extra elements are helping to pay bills and food so now im in a panic.  

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I thought I’d reply to this to get it nearer the top as I can’t really help as my grasp of UC is not the best as have no experience of it. 

Maybe the community team can help? @Cher_Scope @Tori_Scope @Ross_Scope @Caz_Scope @Adrian_Scope
  • woodst
    Many thanks. Its quite an anxious time when your kids with disability turn 18+ as they are treated differently within different services when really nothing has changed and they don't just turn independent and move out.  so worrying. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the tag @MarkN88!

A warm welcome to the community @woodst
    Currently your son will be a part of your Universal Credit claim as a 'qualifying young person'. If he remains in approved education, you'll continue to receive the child element for him until 31st August after his 19th Birthday. If he turns 19 on the 31st August, you'll no longer be entitled to the child element from his 19th Birthday.

When he's no longer a 'qualifying young person', you'll lose both the child element and the disabled child element from your claim. Unless you have another child on your claim or LCW/LCWRA (which it doesn't sound like as you mentioned receiving the carer element) then you will also lose your work allowance (amount you can earn before deductions begin). This means you'll likely have more deducted from your UC for your wages than you are currently.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Your son may be able to claim Universal Credit himself but there are restrictions on students claiming
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodst
    Thanks for the tag @MarkN88!

A warm welcome to the community @woodst
    Currently your son will be a part of your Universal Credit claim as a 'qualifying young person'. If he remains in approved education, you'll continue to receive the child element for him until 31st August after his 19th Birthday. If he turns 19 on the 31st August, you'll no longer be entitled to the child element from his 19th Birthday.

When he's no longer a 'qualifying young person', you'll lose both the child element and the disabled child element from your claim. Unless you have another child on your claim or LCW/LCWRA (which it doesn't sound like as you mentioned receiving the carer element) then you will also lose your work allowance (amount you can earn before deductions begin). This means you'll likely have more deducted from your UC for your wages than you are currently.
    Thanks Adrian this is what I was dread . I did a calculation & UC takes a lot of my wages & housing allowance even though it’s only around 1k so my worst nightmare.  Thank you for your feedback & welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.