Recently moved onto UC!! What is new style ESA? When will I get my payment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recently moved onto UC!! What is new style ESA? When will I get my payment?

Options
kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi i have recently moved onto UC and i am claiming it just one more week and they have put me on new style esa but i don't know when i will receive this they said it would be separately from UC but will it be the same day as my original esa payments as i didn't receive my usual esa on friday like i should have and my rent needs paying!!!! Risk of losing flat etc and no money it's really strange and confusing and what is new style esa??? 
Tagged:

Comments

• kami24
    Options
    One more week until they pay me i mean *****
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

I don't know all the answers but can hp on a few 

New style esa is for people with a medical condition who have paid ni in the past payable for 365 days unless puf into a support group after a work capability assessment then payment continues indefinitely while in support group 

It is paid every 2 weeks 

As for your specific payment date you will need to contact the dwp to find out

You might find some general info from welfare rights 
  • kami24
    Options
    I was on esa support group so will this continue or?? I dont think i have ni contributions yet it says new style esa
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    New style ESA is a different benefit to UC and would normally require a separate claim.

However if your old ESA claim included contribution based ESA it will continue under new style ESA rules, perhaps this is what they mean. In that case I would expect your ESA payments to be on the same as before (but they will be smaller £228.20 every fortnight. 

For UC you will get monthly payments on the same day every month. The ESA will be deducted from the UC. The first payment will be one month and one week after the date of claim. Your old income based ESA will stop two weeks after the day you claimed UC.

When did you claim UC?

Unfortunately the only way to find out about the payment is to ring ESA. A number of people posting on the forum have reported problems with ESA payments recently.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.