Hi, my name is Julie I came across the article Costco and discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Julie I came across the article Costco and discrimination

Options
alderson3620
alderson3620 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Costco has a policy in place that if your exempt from warring a face mask and refuse to put one on you cannot go in the store. Even if you are already a member. I have taken my mask of twice in the shop to catch my breath. Each time the staff pointed me out and told me to put it back on even though there was nobody near me. I was told to either put the mask on. Leave the store or loose your membership I had three members of staff stood in my way. They did not care I was having a panic attack they said they was going to phone the police. So I asked them to phone them for me. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

That isn't good maybe tou should complain to the company 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @alderson3620 :) 

I'm sorry that you had this experience, and it completely understandable this would be such a negative experience for you. I took a look on Costco's website to check what their policy is, and it does say the following:
    Effective 23.12.20, we will require all members, guests and employees to wear a face covering (that covers the nose and mouth) at all Costco warehouse locations. Entry to Costco will only be granted to those wearing a face mask or a face shield.
    Costco has had a face covering policy in effect since 24.04.20, but members who could not wear a face mask due to a medical condition were exempt. This is no longer the case. If a member/guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must instead wear a face shield.
    Members affected by this policy should contact their local warehouse manager to discuss the range of alternative ways to shop with us.
    Have you considered buying a face shield? Many other shops do support customers who are exempt from wearing a facemask, so would it be possible to shop elsewhere for the time being instead? I know neither of these are ideal solutions.

Did anything happen regarding them threatening to call the police?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have problems wearing a mask where I can't breath but I don't take my mask off I just pull it away from my face if it's realy bad though I go outside  but most of the time I just pull it away from my face thats in all shops though I don't know costco
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally if that happened to me in costco or any other store i would never set foot in the place ever again.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• alderson3620
    alderson3620 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Iv complained to the company they just say it’s there policy. I’m a member at Costco it costs me £90 they won’t give me this back. There’s certain things I have to get from there. When they said they will call the police I said that’s what I would like them  to do but then they refused. I do just pull my mask down. But I still go faint. I can’t wear a shield because I have ticks and my neck spasms. The sheild is sharp and ends up hurting my neck. My point is we need to make a stand to people who bully intimidate break the law and spoil the little time we get to go out. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    Costco do home delivery for £5.99 no minimum spend. Perhaps that is an option?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you have proof that you  don't have to wear a mask then they cant force it  but if your not exempt from wearing one you can be asked to leave  and they have the right to do this  they can also phone the police who then fine you for not wearing a mask 

Lots of people have been fined for not wearing a mask where I live 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    It more than likely differs from organisation to organisation. 

The thing is, government guidance does not mean each and every individual organisation has to adapt it. 

If an organisation wants to have their own individual policies than course they can. 

Brightness