May is for Mental Health Awareness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

May is for Mental Health Awareness

Katharine_Alumni
Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
Hi everyone,

As well as my work for Scope, I run Mental Health First Aid instructor courses.
Mental Health Week this year is between 10th and 16th May is focused on nature. I am wanting to post on my social media a varied type and topic of post throughout the month. So I was just wondering:
Could you explain how nature impacts your mental health?
Do you have any ideas for the sorts of posts I could create e.g. inspirational songs, relevant short films, questions, articles etc?

Thank you so much
Katharine
Katharine McKnight
Careers Adviser, Career Pathways

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I do know that petting animals can be very therapeutic, I’m thinking of non predators of course like cats and dogs or lambs etc.

And of course you can’t beat a stroll in the countryside or a spot of gardening or growing from seed in pots even on a windowsill. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Katharine_Alumni
    leeCal said:
    I do know that petting animals can be very therapeutic, I’m thinking of non predators of course like cats and dogs or lambs etc.

And of course you can’t beat a stroll in the countryside or a spot of gardening or growing from seed in pots even on a windowsill. 
    Thank you so much for the suggestions :):smile:
    Katharine McKnight
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I know that just getting outside in my small garden is definitely therapeutic, as it's a distraction from chronic pain, & even before the pandemic I rarely went anywhere, so even a small outside space helps. I also grow vegetables & flowers (some edible like nasturtiums, flowers as well as leaves) from seed; it gives me an interest, & also a healthy diet, as I grow tomatoes, various kinds of lettuce, spring onions, courgettes, leeks, french beans, runner beans, peas, beetroot, radishes, achochas (you might have to look that one up, but they're easy to grow, & very versatile), miniature cucumbers & radishes, as well as having chives & herbs such as rosemary, thyme & sage.
    Agree with @leeCal that domesticated pets can help....just remind me about that after my (lovely) cat has bitten through countless wires, but, as my son asked, has she helped, or could I do without her? Yes, & no. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Let's hope the Government is aware it's mental health month.......?
  • Katharine_Alumni
    chiarieds said:
    I know that just getting outside in my small garden is definitely therapeutic, as it's a distraction from chronic pain, & even before the pandemic I rarely went anywhere, so even a small outside space helps. I also grow vegetables & flowers (some edible like nasturtiums, flowers as well as leaves) from seed; it gives me an interest, & also a healthy diet, as I grow tomatoes, various kinds of lettuce, spring onions, courgettes, leeks, french beans, runner beans, peas, beetroot, radishes, achochas (you might have to look that one up, but they're easy to grow, & very versatile), miniature cucumbers & radishes, as well as having chives & herbs such as rosemary, thyme & sage.
    Agree with @leeCal that domesticated pets can help....just remind me about that after my (lovely) cat has bitten through countless wires, but, as my son asked, has she helped, or could I do without her? Yes, & no. :)

It is so wonderful to hear that you find being outside as such a boost. It sounds like you have a fantastic variety of vegetables, fruit and herbs too! Thank you so much for sharing
    Katharine McKnight

Brightness