So much pain!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So much pain!!

Athena
Athena Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi,   

I’ll start by saying I’ve been diagnosed with gallstones three weeks ago after being rushed to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Having my GB removed in two weeks. 

As of three days ago I’ve been suffering from a dull throb in the top middle of my stomach just under my breast bone. I feel full all the time. The pain gets worse and worse through the day. I can’t bend. It’s agony. It’s gone in the morning but comes back steadily and gets worse and worse. I don’t know what it is. 

Any help? 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Athena :) 

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain at the moment. Could this be because of your gallstones? Abdominal pain is a symptom of gallstones as the NHS guidance states:

Gallstones can cause sudden, severe abdominal pain that usually lasts 1 to 5 hours, although it can sometimes last just a few minutes.

The pain can be felt:
    • in the centre of your abdomen (tummy)
    • just under the ribs on your right-hand side – it may spread from here to your side or shoulder blade
    The pain is constant and isn't relieved by going to the toilet, passing wind or being sick. 

It's sometimes triggered by eating fatty foods, but may occur at any time of day and may wake you up during the night.

Biliary colic doesn't happen often. After an episode of pain, it may be several weeks or months before you have another episode.

Some people also have periods where they sweat excessively and feel sick or vomit.

When gallstones cause episodes of biliary colic, it's known as uncomplicated gallstone disease.

Other symptoms

Occasionally, gallstones can cause more serious problems if they obstruct the flow of bile for longer periods or move into other organs, such as the pancreas or small bowel.

If this happens, you may develop:
    • a high temperature of 38C or above
    • more persistent pain
    • a rapid heartbeat
    • yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
    • itchy skin
    • chills or shivering attacks
    • confusion
    • a loss of appetite
    Doctors refer to this more severe condition as complicated gallstone disease.

Read more about the complications of gallstones.

Do you have any of the other symptoms? 

I'd suggest that you speak to a doctor again, as it's no good to be in so much pain. Perhaps you could ring 111 now to see what they suggest? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Athena
    Athena Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I’ve had the colic before and this feels different. It’s not as bad as the colic pain but it’s bad enough to be causing me awful discomfort. 

I don’t know what to do. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I'd definitely suggest getting in contact with a medical professional @Athena. Have you tried contacting your GP? Did you call 111? It sounds as though the pain needs investigating, and that you could do with some pain relief. 

How is the pain today?

We're not medical professionals, so we can't make a diagnosis or advise on medication and so on. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness