Hi there. I've been awarded LCWRA, can I also apply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi there. I've been awarded LCWRA, can I also apply for PIP?

Torim
Torim Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Today I’ve just been awarded LCWRA , I won’t be getting payment til 3months so I’m just wondering can I also apply for PIP during this or is it all the same. I’m soo confused 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    PIP is a completely different benefit with different criteria. If you think you should qualify then start a claim.

Details of how the assessment is scored are here
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

The claim process is long and it may be many months before you get a decision. No money is paid until a decision is made but any award will be backdated to the day of claim.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Torim
    thank you for your reply , I’ve applied for pip before and it took soo long and I  got turnt down but my mental health has got worse and I’ve a lot more medical history and involvement with mental health teams , Cmp etc quiet surprised I got awarded LWRCA .. I’m also on universal credit 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You say you won't get any lcwra payment for 3 months that depends on when you reported the medical condition 

The 3 month waiting period starts from when you reported the condition 

So you may not be waiting 3 months for payment
  • Torim
    Thank you for your Reply janer1967 , I reported my condition in November , was getting fit notes then I filled out and posted form.. it was dated 30th March 
  • janer1967
    Dependant on exact dates if you reported and supplied fit notes in nov then payment should start in April so you should get a months backpay 
  • Torim
    Thanks for your help , much appreciated.. I must check date of my first fit note , I thought it just went by when I sent the fit for work questionnaire Form in .. i live in Northern Ireland, is it a standard rate or is everyone different 
  • janer1967
    I think it is standard rate but not 100% sure it is £343.63 and according to Internet is jyst same for ni 
  • Torim
    thanks again :) 
  • calcotti
    Torim said:.. surprised I got awarded LWRCA .. I’m also on universal credit 
    LCWRA is an additional element in UC, not a separate benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Torim

I'm glad the responses received have helped answer your question, please do let us know how you get on and ask away if anything else crops into your mind.

Just to add - I've tweaked the title of your post to help others who might have the same question in the future :)  Good luck! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Torim
    So I’ve checked my fit notes and the first 1 dates 12th February 2021 , I reported to my work coach on 25th November about my health condition and from then I had to speak to docs etc to get ball rolling.. so does the claim go from the first fit note? Sorry if I seem like I’m repeating myself 
  • calcotti
    Unfortunately because of the delay in getting fit Notes DWP are likely to take February rather than November as the start of the three month waiting period. The rules only allow you to self-certify for 7 days. With a February start date you should get the LCWRA element in June or July (depends on the dates of your assessment periods).
  • janer1967
    Hi there 

Yes it will go from first fit note though I don't understand why you were not asked for one when reporting the condition 

That will mean you will be looking at July for your first payment 
  • Torim
    Thanks for the replies ,It’s all just soo confusing for me .. will I get any back date payments, @janer1967 they didn’t even mention fit notes at that time to me 
  • calcotti
    Torim said:  .. will I get any back date payments, 
    As explained - probably not.
  • Torim
    Ok thanks for that ☺️ 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.