Pip Mobility Descriptors, and depression and anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Mobility Descriptors, and depression and anxiety

scared
scared Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi

If you only go out once or twice a month and with someone because of anxiety and depression and you can't go on buses etc what descriptor would you satisfy? I stay at home most of the time. The descriptors for mobility are really confusing me.

many thanks in advance

Comments

• scared
    Also would I satisfy descriptors for 9 (d)? Engaging with other people face to face. I have 1 friend I see once a month he usually comes to my house if he is with other people I never say anything the whole time I'm there and I feel very anxious. I barely leave my house and when I do it has to be with someone I can't go out on my own. I'm scared of going out and seeing other people. Would I satisfy that descriptor also? I've already sent off my forms but its been a long time and I'm just stressing and seeing what to expect my results from PIP will be. Thank you
  • scared
    @Username_removed thank you for your reply. So for activity 9 social engagement, you're saying I should get 8 points? And sorry I didn't question it right, I meant for activity 1 for mobility how many points should I expect to get? Just incase I have to appeal. Also I'm not sure how I'm able to prove it I sent them a copy of my medical records for anxiety and depression but no where in it does it say for example I need prompting to get dressed etc. But it does say about me not going out in it.

Thanks again in advance for your kind help
  • scared
    More likely 4.
    Is that 4 points for engaging face to face?

How many points should I expect to get for mobility section 1 aswell?

Thanks 
  • scared
    Thanks for your replies Mike I really appreciate it. This is the last thing now I will tell you below what I put and see how many points you think I would get.

I put I can never go out on my own because I become very anxious and I never go to a shop or bank or bus on my own. If I do go out its with my parents and if I can get away with going out I will (my mum will go for me). If I go out for a walk with my parents I feel anxious and feel like people are looking at me. I become hot and sweaty and get pins and needles etc.

Thank you
  • scared
    I didn't think I would have to put examples. I thought the evidence was me attaching my doctors record. On my doctors record the nurse explains I don't go out a lot on there. For every question I didn't give examples I just said what I can and can't do. Does this mean I won't get anything then? Its been 3 months since I applied and heard nothing yet. Can I not change it or will that make my process even longer. Thanks again
  • scared
    Think I messed it all up
  • scared
    Thank you very much. I just have one more question now because I feel disappointed in myself been waiting all this time thinking I done it right. For example the eating and drinking section or taking nutrition, I didn't put examples. All I put was along the lines of:    My mum persuades me to eat everyday. I have such low mood I don't feel hungry and I have no motivation to do it because of my depression. If my mum doesn't make my food I wouldn't have anything. If my friend comes to see me I can't eat or drink because my anxiety is bad. 

In your opinion what would that score? I thought I would have scored 4 points under 2.d Needs prompting to to be able to take nutrition. Thats the last question I promise and I really appreciate all the help you've given me.
  • scared
    Thanks a lot Mike. I guess I'll get my mum to call pip tomorrow about how to send off more detail to my form. Guess I'll write them on pieces of paper and just post it to them. Thank you for your help 
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    I’ve done very similar to you @scared , didn’t give as much information etc as Mike is saying. I shall just say it all to the assessor, as I’m sure it must be allowed.
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi i,m pretty much in the same situation.  Sent my form in, happy with what i,d said. Then started reading Mike,s posts & realized I had,nt given enough details.  So typed up more details, with the intention of sending it in as additional information,  But with input from the guys on here realised i,d left it too late. But as Mike & woodbine said I should be able to say it on the day of assessment,  which is tomorrow.  So i,ll post tomorrow afterwards & hopefully be able to put your minds at rest
  • Leigh14

saversam said:
    Hi i,m pretty much in the same situation.  Sent my form in, happy with what i,d said. Then started reading Mike,s posts & realized I had,nt given enough details.  So typed up more details, with the intention of sending it in as additional information,  But with input from the guys on here realised i,d left it too late. But as Mike & woodbine said I should be able to say it on the day of assessment,  which is tomorrow.  So i,ll post tomorrow afterwards & hopefully be able to put your minds at rest
    Good luck for tomorrow.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    @saversam and @Leigh14 Good luck with your assessments.  The need to include detailed examples of how my impairment impacted my ability to carry out the PIP activities was something I didn't know either before joining this community, so please be assured you aren't alone in that.  I'm glad Mike and Woodbine were able to help and we'll be rooting for you.  Please let us know how you get on.

Also, @scared - I just wanted to check that you were getting sufficient support with your mental health.  I can see you have a GP and nurse involved but do you feel you'd benefit from any other services?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Leigh14
    Thankyou @Cher_Scope. The information here is great, and I’ve read so many supportive posts. I’ve written everything down, then crossed it out for fear it’s not enough, or even too much. Going to have a cuppa now, and start over??‍♀️
  • saversam
    Leigh14 & Cher Scope thank you very much. I,ll pleased when over! 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Just wanted to add my good luck wishes for your assessment tomorrow @saversam. :)

If you get chance, and also if feel like it afterwards, then do pop back to let us know how you got on.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • saversam
    Thank you Caz that,s very thoughtful of you. Yes I will of course let you know how i,ve got on. Speak tomorrow 
  • buffy6956
    buffy6956 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Did you get awarded pip in the end (this is a question for scared) 
  • saversam
    buffy6956 said:
    Did you get awarded pip in the end (this is a question for scared) 
    I was awarded standard on both daily and mobility 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    @scared how is it going? Have you heard back from them yet? ???

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.