When will I receive LCWRA first payment? Is there any benefit to being on both ESA and UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When will I receive LCWRA first payment? Is there any benefit to being on both ESA and UC?

jolene3110
jolene3110 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello Everyone

I hope someone will be able to help me.
I am currently on ESA and UC and was assessed as LCWRA on 1st April 2021. My first fit note was 7th Jan.  My work coach says I will not receive any additional payment until June.  I thought was 3 months after my first note.

I am single and now receive £228.20 per fortnight from ESA
Will I also receive the UC additional element for LCWRA of £343.63?

Also. - is there any benefit for me being on both ESA & UC?.  I don't understand why I am as I don't have savings over £6000

Thank you
Jo

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    New style ESA is a contribution based benefit. UC is a means tested benefit.
    There is no financial benefit being on both ESA and UC because the ESA is deducted in full from the UC. However the ESA is paid fortnightly and the UC monthly. having more frequent payment is helpful for some people. With ESA you get class 1 NI credits whereas UC only gives class 3. The ESA is a individual non means tested benefit whereas UC is a means tested benefit based on joint circumstances for a couple. Therefore if eligible it makes sense to claim ESA to protect yourself against a future change of circumstance which could end your UC entitlement (such as moving in with a partner).

As regards timing of the LCWRA element. If you claimed UC on the 7th January and notified the health condition at that time the LCWRA element should be payable with the payment due on 14th May. However if this was a change of circumstances it is possible that the LCWRA element would not be payable until June - it depends on the dates of your assessment period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jolene3110
    Thank you calcotti for your response.  How do I find out my assessment dates please?
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Thank you calcotti for your response.  How do I find out my assessment dates please?
    Your monthly period is set by the date of claim. Don’t the monthly statements show the dates?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jolene3110
    The date of my original claim for UC or when I first submitted my fit note?. I receive payment 7th of each month
  • calcotti
    jolene3110 said:I receive payment 7th of each month
    In that case your AP coincides with a normal calendar month from first to last day of the month. The LCWRA element is payable for the fourth complete AP after the health condition is reported. If you reported the condition on 7th January then the LCWRA element will be payable for May, which is the June payment. If you reported on 1st January and self certified for the first week then I would expect the LCWRA element to be in the May Payment.
  • jolene3110
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for your time calcotti. You have explained clearly. I think I get confused with the official terminology.
    Have I understood you correctly that my ESA payments will be deducted from UC standard allowance & LCWRA total? 

• calcotti
    jolene3110 said: Have I understood you correctly that my ESA payments will be deducted from UC standard allowance & LCWRA total? 
    Yes.
  • jolene3110
    edited May 2021
    Thank you so much.
    I have been getting so anxious and stressed about it all.

One last question please  @calcotti - will this payment be backdated to 14th April as this was the end of the 3 month period (including the first week self cert)?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @jolene3110 I'm glad @calcotti was able to de-mystify the process for you :) Do you think this will help you relax now?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • jolene3110
    Hello @Cher_Scope.

Thank you for your message.
    It is one less thing off my mind.. I am speaking with my counsellor today and hoping to feel more positive. I have days when my mind is  good and days when I'm not - have always been like this...  The sun is shining today which is good for me.
  • calcotti
    jolene3110 said: One last question please  @calcotti - will this payment be backdated to 14th April as this was the end of the 3 month period (including the first week self cert)?
    Payments are only made for whole APs. As previous reply
    calcotti said: In that case your AP coincides with a normal calendar month from first to last day of the month. The LCWRA element is payable for the fourth complete AP after the health condition is reported. If you reported the condition on 7th January then the LCWRA element will be payable for May, which is the June payment. If you reported on 1st January and self certified for the first week then I would expect the LCWRA element to be in the May Payment.
    I am not clear what you are now asking and where the 14th April comes from.

• jolene3110
    @calcotti
    Apologies for not being clearer.. My original claim runs from 1st to end of month. My 1st fit note was submitted 7th Jan and continued for 3 months. I was awarded LCWRA on 1st April...I understand that the first week doesn't count therefore that would mean the 3 month period ended 14th April?.. Have I misunderstood again?

Thank you
  • calcotti
    As per my previous reply, if you declared your health condition on 1st January when you made the claim then the LCWRA element will be included for the AP which covers 1st to 30th April (your fourth AP). That is the payment due on 7th May.
  • jolene3110
    Thank you.
    As per my previous note I didnt declare my health issue on 1st Jan I declared on 7th Jan 
  • calcotti
    Thank you.
    As per my previous note I didnt declare my health issue on 1st Jan I declared on 7th Jan 
    You said your Fit Note started on 7th January. If I now understand what you are saying, when you made the claim on 1st January you said nothing about our health but then declared a change of circumstances on 7th January. In taht case the fourth complete AP following your declaration of a health problem is the month of May and you will not see the extra money until the payment on 7th June. All as per my earlier reply.
    calcotti said: In that case your AP coincides with a normal calendar month from first to last day of the month. The LCWRA element is payable for the fourth complete AP after the health condition is reported. If you reported the condition on 7th January then the LCWRA element will be payable for May, which is the June payment. If you reported on 1st January and self certified for the first week then I would expect the LCWRA element to be in the May Payment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.