Hi, I'm AMMCN030958! I have an essential hand tremor + am worried how it'll impact my job. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm AMMCN030958! I have an essential hand tremor + am worried how it'll impact my job.

Options
AMMCN030958
AMMCN030958 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2021 in Work and employment
Hi Ive got an essential tremor in my right hand and I'm a secretary.  Looks like I'm going to have to give up work.  I've tried propanalol and now i'm on primadone  - neither help.  Anyone any suggestions or does it look like i'm giving up work.  Its so frustrating and I get really upset and the more I try the worse I get. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi @AMMCN030958 and a warm welcome to our community,  How are you doing today?

I'm sorry to hear that the tremor is impacting your work and can empathise with how upsetting this must be.  Is this something you've talked to your employers about before?  People vary in deciding when, and if, to share information about their impairment with employers and Scope have a fab webpage about how to talk to your boss about your impairment if this is something you've been worried about up to now.

Just to reassure you, if you do tell your employer then they have a responsibility to consider what reasonable adjustments they could implement to help you continue in your role. as per the Equality Act 2010.  This might be by bringing in assistive technology, or alternatively there could be some other equipment i.e. an adapted keyboard that could help.  This AbilityNet 'Using a computer if you have tremors' article has suggestions on other practical ideas.  Has anything like this ever been discussed?

I hope this helps and please don't struggle quietly.  You have every right to access support and your hand tremor need not mean the end of your secretarial career.  

Just to add - I've slightly tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our Employment and careers category to help others who might have similar concerns in the future.  Best wishes and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Further to the above I would suggest asking you be referred to oh for a work place assessment 

They can then recommend reasonable adjustments and any aids or equipment to make it easier for you 

It doesn't always mean you need to leave work there may be solutions ot other roles 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @AMMCN030958 :) Please do take a look at the above comments and let us know what you think. 

It's completely understandable that the prospect of losing your job would cause you stress, so please rest assured that there are options out there to help you stay in employment. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness