How could being mentally disabled affect me accessing social housing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How could being mentally disabled affect me accessing social housing?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
Hi folks,
Ok, not sure of this post but here goes.
I've been fortunate for a long time now in being able to rent privately, in my case a bungalow,
However, since my mother passed , nearly 4 years ago now, the cost of renting privately has been only just affordable.
Now my landlord has decided to sell the bungalow we,re renting, me and my partner and carer.
So, looking at what's available privately now I realize that the prices people want is well too much for us, with house prices rocketing up , so it's the same with renting.
Anyway, social housing is obviously the way to go, being over 55 is a bonus, lol, but I'm wondering being mentally disabled rather than physically, how does it affect me, if at all?, 
I'll keep everyone posted as how things go if anyone is interested?
Thanks folks.
Alan.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I'm not too sure you would get the same sort of priority banding to take you up the list also you may find more availability if you look at houses as well if you can manage the stairs 

There is very little stock of social housing and especially accessible 

You should get some priority for being moved out by your landlord but again priority goes to homeless and those with children 

Sorry this isn't probably what you want to hear a lot depends on area as well 

I wish you luck in your search 
  • [Deleted User]
    Thank you. Can,t do stairs I'm afraid
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    As janer says social housing is in very short supply even more so bungalows, you need to speak to your local council and any housing associations in the area, i've added a link to shelters site they might be useful.

https://england.shelter.org.uk
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    Thank you. Much appreciated. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @givingup I hope you're doing well this sunny Sunday morning :)

Just to supplement the fab information already received, this Shelter webpage on 'Who gets priority for council housing?' advises:
    You must get some priority if you need to move on medical grounds.

For example, if anyone in your household has:
    physical or mental health problems that are made worse by where you live
    mobility problems that make it difficult to get around your home

When you apply, give the council details of:
    how your health problems are affected by where you live
    difficulties the medical condition or disability causes
    any doctor, health worker or social worker who can support your application
    So these are things to be considering prior to contacting your local council.  Also, your council should have a housing allocation policy on it's website that sets out who gets priority on waiting lists in your area.  

I have my fingers crossed you find the right home for you.  Please let us know how you get on and good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 22Putney
    22Putney Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hello, I have an issue with moving as well, and understand how remote the council etc seem to be, if you have a law centre you could ring them and I hope come out and visit you, there is a a section of the housing act called "homeless at home" if your home is unsuitable they can use this as leverage to help you move, they would be know more about this than I do....also there help is very good...I hope you have success.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thank you all, it's horrible not knowing we're we might end up!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know if a housing association such as in the following link may be able to help if they have accommodation in your area. Please see: https://www.advanceuk.org/

• [Deleted User]
    I tried the place mentioned above but they only deal with disabled people down south so no good for me personally as I live up north on the Wirral peninsula.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry that wasn't helpful @giving up
  • [Deleted User]
    Chiarieds, Don,t worry, we,ll all keep trying.
    I'm surprised there isn,t a similar place up here ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This link on the wirral.gov.uk website regarding help finding a home could be helpful if you haven't seen it already @givingup? This page on housing related support could also be helpful, particularly the details at the bottom. If you search online for housing associations in your area, there should also be some results.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yes. I've been in touch with them, thank you. Sounds great doesn't it, but not as easy as they make it seem? 
  • [Deleted User]
    And, no government, especially the nasty lot we've got in now, is going to make me move to an appalling area!!! I,d rather be dead!!!!!!!!!!
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Just wanted to get in touch with you @givingup to see how you were getting on? 

I can see that @Tori_Scope has made some suggestions about potential next steps for you. But from what you've said, it sounds like you've not had much of a positive response so far? I'm sorry to hear that. Could I ask, which organisations and services have you already been in touch with? And what was their response? 

I can understand that you must be feeling frustrated with your current situation. And I can appreciate why you've said that about the lack of government action in respect of the social housing situation. But I was wondering what you meant by 'not as easy as they make it seem'? If you could perhaps give us an idea of what issues you've encountered, we might be able to offer some additional suggestions about potential next steps :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • [Deleted User]
    I spoke to my local citizens advice, or askus Wirral as there now called. They put me onto age concern uk as I'm over 55 and the lady I spoke to , who was really good, explained to me the obvious that homeless get priority, followed by people in abusive relationships , then women with kids , then psychically disabled, then maybe mentally disabled, so I would of thought that is discrimination?  Who knows? 
    Sorry I don't feel too brilliant at the moment and with the government doing well in the local elections, it looks like we'll be stuck with a totally unfair system for the disabled as usual!

Brightness