Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment

wrinkly65
wrinkly65 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
Hi all, I help my son with his forms etc. Last week he waited for his phone assessment for over 4 hours, it did not take place. I informed assessment cenre and DWP by phone and letter. Can't find anything out about what happens now. Amongst other things my son has severe anxiety and this is worrying him , anyone know what to expect next? Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

What did they say when you rang what had happened? 

Was it their error and the call didnt take place ? 

If its their fault you will get a new assessment date if your son missed the call his details will be returned to dwp 

Is there any chance he has a block on his phone for these numbers 
  • wrinkly65
    No blocks on phone.Gave details including he had gone into meltdownand and fighting urges to self harm sadly. I was put on hold for half an hour then disconnected.He saw next day that he had a missed call at half one, appointment was between 9-12, due to his state he had not answered. Having waited 3 years for this assessment his anxiety over it had been building a lot.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It may have been them that are known to be late with assessment calls 

That's a long wait for an assessment? 
  • wrinkly65
    Indeed, used to ring and enquire regularly, always told we are behind dont worry will be backdated. Of course everytime brown envelope arrives he gets anxious.Also to add to mix and worry he  was once sanctioned basically because person at office decided pay slip saying zero hours worked meant working despite sick note.took a while to sort and only knew because housing notified him esa informend them working. Confidence in system is actad low.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hello @wrinkly65

Sorry to hear about recent events with the assessment. That is a long wait to have even got to this stage. I can understand your son's anxiety and the reasons for your concern as well. 

I can't offer any specific advice on what to expect next I'm afraid. Though other community members might have some advice to share in this situation. I don't suppose the DWP gave you any indication when you spoke to them on the phone? 

I also wanted to ask about your son's anxiety. Clearly, this is going to be adding to his stress. Is he in touch with his GP about his anxiety? And is he getting any other help and support with his mental health? Also, I can understand that you yourself are likely to be concerned about him having to fight the urge to self-harm. How are you and your family getting on? Do you receive any support at all? 

Do keep in touch with us on the community if you can. Let us know if you find out anything more or if we can be of help with anything.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wrinkly65
    Thanks. He has cbt and calls periodically from his doctor as she is concerned about his mental health. Yes very scary at times especially asI live 80 miles away with no car.Family and friends are supportive thankfully.no indication from help line,?will turn out ok. He emails me his care plans, advice and contact numbers for help which is good. Fortunately where he lives there is good mental health care.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for that last post @wrinkly65 :)

Good to hear that your son's in fairly regular contact with his GP and that she's quite involved in looking after his wellbeing. And really positive that you've got some supportive family and friends, and there's good mental health care services in his area, as well. That must be a bit of a relief for you. That said, it must be a bit difficult for you all, being a bit of a distance apart from each other. How are you managing with that? Have you been able to see each other at all recently? Or has that just not been possible because of lockdown? 

I'm sorry that you've not managed to find anything else out from the DWP helpline. Other than keep getting back to them and asking again, I'm not sure what else to advise for the time being. Though other community members might be able suggest something? 

You look after yourselves and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all. Do please keep in touch and let us know how you get on as well. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wrinkly65
    Not seen as he has been so concerned about virus , visitors and me using public transport especially as I am high risk catergory. Just had my second jab and he is getting more confident as has to face travel himself for hospital and IV antibiotics recently. Bought him all the gear plus the new virusend 99.99% kill of covid19 ,seemed to help him face the world. Hopefully be safer soon. Thank you for concern.
  • wrinkly65
    Good news been given new date for assessment, phew.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.