Hi, new here — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, new here

Dusty_Hammer
Dusty_Hammer Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hey hey. 
Just joined the forums after looking for info about benefits, which I found very helpful.

I have an undiagnosed condition, looking like it’s neurological - got an MRI of my head and neck coming up this month. I’m on a lot of medication which does take the edge of my pain, but it’s still constant.

I was last at work briefly in the summer but got sent home as my pain was clear to others, and I haven’t been back since. 

I have an occupational health review coming up. I’m absolutely terrified that I won’t be able to go back to my job because I am in pain 24/7 and don’t think I would now manage being on my feet for 8 hours. 

I feel broken, lost, upset, angry, fobbed off, forgotten and lonely. 

Sorry for this being such a negative post, I am struggling quite a bit!

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Dusty_Hammer and welcome, see what happenes at your appointment with oc health, sorry your in lots of pain. They might not be able to move faward until you have mri and get test results.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear about your situation  

It is very hard coming to terms with any illness and having to stop work 

It's like a grieving  process you are adjusting to new life but you will get there 

Work may not make a decision till you have a diagnosis as it may be a condition that can be managed with correct treatment 

• Dusty_Hammer
    Thanks @janer1967 and @Sandy_123

I think you’re right, I need to try and stop over thinking and trying to predict the future - but it’s very hard not to! Terrified of losing my job. Terrified that I might get a lifelong diagnosis, terrified that I might not get any diagnosis. It’s a fun place to be (ha ha... I have to laugh at myself...)

yes lots of appointments and things coming up so maybe that’s why my head is spinning with it all so much. Just a lot to take in, as mentioned almost like a grieving process. I have swung from angry to sad quite a lot which I know from past experiences is common in grief.

I am very happy, however, to have found a community online where I can come to connect and seek advice. Thank you.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Dusty_Hammer

Welcome to the community and thanks for introducing yourself. 

There's no need to apoologise, you clearly have a lot going on at the moment and it's understandable that sometimes it can bring you down a bit. 

How far off is the MRI? I hope that goes well and provides some answers for you, and ultimately enables you to receive further support for what you're going through. 

Is your job one where being on your feet is a necessity? There might be ways in which you and your employer could work together to make it easier for you to carry out your role, through reasonable adjustments. Is that something you've explored?

It seems as though everything has impacted your mental well-being, is that the case? And is your mental health something you receive support with? Hopefully being a part of this community will help you to feel less alone, everyone here wants the best for you 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dusty_Hammer
    @Ross_Scope
    Hey man, thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. 

My MRI isn’t too far away, it’s on the 26th, this will actually be my THIRD in about 14 months (why they couldn’t just scan all of me in the first place I don’t know) - this time they are focusing on my head and neck. So it will obviously be a while after until I get any results. 

Sadly yes my job does require me to be on my feet and very physically active all day - I’m a charity shop manager - so it’s a very busy, very physical job. Realistically there isn’t any way of making it more accessible to me without detrimental effects to the day to day running of the shop (I had a good think about this after I read some of the articles on this website about workplace adjustments) - short of me going part time I suppose (and even then I might struggle if it’s really busy) or taking on a different role. Have to wait and see with that one I suppose, I have an occupational health meeting next week, so I guess I just need to be as honest as possible.

Mental health wise yes it’s tricky but I am very supported by friends and family so I don’t feel too bad, I’ve suffered depression in the past so I know the warning signs.

Thank you for giving me a space to speak, it’s a wonderful forum you’ve got going on here. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hello @Dusty_Hammer

Three in 14 months? Wow that's quite a few, but fingers crossed the one later in the month goes well :) 

Ah I see, you seem to have given a lot of thought to your work. Have you discussed the situation with your employer, just so they know what you're going through and how you're feeling?

I'm glad you have support from loved ones, that must be really nice to have. And it's good that you are familiar with warning signs and seem to be aware of how to manage it. Please ensure you speak with your GP though if you ever feel as though you need further support.

You're welcome, it's great to have you on the community!

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dusty_Hammer
    Hey @Ross_Scope - yes it is a lot in a very short space of time!

I haven’t really spoken to my work yet no. Think I will do that with the upcoming meetings I have. 

Thanks for the advice, and the warm welcome my man. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hey @Ross_Scope - yes it is a lot in a very short space of time!

I haven’t really spoken to my work yet no. Think I will do that with the upcoming meetings I have. 

Thanks for the advice, and the warm welcome my man. 
    You are very welcome, I hope all goes well with work :) 

Brightness