Coronation Street — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coronation Street

Options
Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
Last night Wednesday I watched the double  episode of coronation  I havent been able to sleep because of it  it hit home that things like that do happen in real life 

It is discrimination at its very worst  it affected me quite badly  it was played very well  by nina and seb with  dire consequences 

In case people haven't watched it yet I won't  spoil  it 

Those who did see it what are your thoughts and feelings and has it affected you in anyway 

Comments

• grandma57
    grandma57 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi Lisa, yes I watched and it was so hard hitting. We know things happen like this everyday and know that it's so hard to prove. Think corrie did a good job of showing what happens if people think you are 'different'. It also made me think how bad our society is, some not bothering about their actions in the words they say to the physical effects  not just that person but others around them. I think it's time more programs showed things like this.
    Just because the disability, is seen or hidden, the colour of your skin, race or religion it does not make you a target for those who should know better
    Hope you manage to get some sleep, take care
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I’ve read the storyline but haven’t watched yet. I’m always about a week behind on catch up. 
    I believe it was based on a real life case. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    It was awful  why would people want to do that
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi @lisathomas50

I only caught the second episode last night and found that distressing.  I think Corrie do a great job of bringing attention to 'real-life' social issues and this storyline was based on the hate crime of people who look different, and the sad death of Sophie Lancaster.  It's hard to understand what goes through perpetrators minds when they are committing these crimes, and they often have complicated, troubled backgrounds that influence their actions (not that that excuses anything).  It's difficult to watch but I'm glad the actors involved did it justice.  

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • happyhippygirl
    happyhippygirl Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Was so upset tonight’s ones I cried poor boy,hop them boys and girl gets what comeing to them,you can’t go round kicking ppl to death,,I will miss him,he was such a lovely boy
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Just binge watched Wednesdays x2 episodes and Fridays x2 episodes. It was sad. I wasn’t aware the actor who played Seb was leaving. 

Corrie have done a great job though with the storyline. 

It’s expected to play out though until next year so plenty of turns, ups and downs as well as twists and repercussions I expect. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't watched it fully just caught ending when seb died. I read the article on the real life incident years ago and it was the parents who helped the writers.
    Its good that soaps reflect on real events in life, i find it difficult following Peters journey on corry as I've watched some1 do same. But like I say its good to see these things aired as disturbing as some are.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Cher_Scope it realy affected me as I knew it was  based on a real life story it wasn't realy what I saw but the description of being kicked several times in the head in coronation Street its people who know them that did it I know its a soap but I pray that they play it out properly and they show the consequences  of their actions personally they should be locked up and never come out 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't watched the Corrie episodes, but I'm aware of the story due to a documentary called 'Murdered for Being Different'. It's worth a watch if you want to understand more about the real story. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Tori_Scope is on itv hub  or something else I have read about it I just can't get my head round the fact that someone  could do something like that even though I know it still goes in my friend is a goth  and she has been picked on spat on and beaten up twice  but not to the extent that coronation Street  has shown 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe it's a BBC one, so might still be on iPlayer @lisathomas50. Yes, it really is awful. I'm sorry your friend has been through that. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness