Just received a limited work capability letter, help on next steps — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just received a limited work capability letter, help on next steps

LeighMo58027858
LeighMo58027858 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
So I received the letter after a phone asssement, I suffer from severe depression and anxiety, due to these problems and generally not wanting to live anymore ATM I cannot work or do any work related things the job centre will try and force me to do. I have panic attacks and can't leave house its that bad, pathetic  I know but that how it is. I need to be on lcwra from what I understand and will not accept anything other than this. As I simply cannot work in his state im in. Amy help much appreciated.

Will I need to appeal this ? Thx.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @leveey19 how are you today?  You need to do an MR (mandatory reconsideration) where your assessment will be looked at again.
    You are not pathetic non of us can help how we feel but if you need to talk to someone call the samaritans on 116 123 , if you think you are in danger of harming yourself please call 999.
    if we can be of further help just keep posting on here.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

What was the decision  in the letter ? 

As above if it wasn't what you think you should get then mr is the next stage

Unfortunately it isn't up to you to say what you will accept its their decision  which you can dispute 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Hi @leveey19

First of all, welcome to the community. It's good to have you with us, though I know it's not under the best of circumstances for you. 

Do you want to start off by telling us a bit more about what your letter said? From your comments, I'm guessing it's not the best of news. Particularly as you've asked about appealing the decision. But if you start off by giving us a bit more detail about the decision, our community members might be able to offer some further advice. 

Also, there's some more info on the Turn2Us website about what happens After your work capability assessment, including how to go about challenging a decision. That might be a helpful starting-point for you in terms of what I can gather from your first post.

In terms of how you're feeling, I know that this must be a difficult time for you. Can I ask, do you receive any support for your depression and anxiety? Are you in contact with your GP about that? Or any other services. Given that this is a bit of a difficult time for you, I thought it might be helpful to point you in the direction of some other services as well.
    Also, we're going to drop you a line via email, just to follow up with you on a couple of things you've mentioned. So, please do keep an eye out for that in the meantime. 

You take care and speak again soon. 

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • LeighMo58027858
    edited May 2021
    Yeah I know that I just meant I will fight against it. And won't be forced to do anything that causes me to get worse

Of course I know its up to them I just feel it not correct, and usually I give up with this sort of thing s I just feel helpless and a feeling of doom all he time, so saying that I just meant this time I'm fighting against it
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good for you I had to appeal and go to tribunal but I won at tribunal 

I was originally found fit for work even though I was house bound at the time in a wheelchair had my leg amputated and vision impaired 

Let us know how you get on.
  • LeighMo58027858
    Caz_Scope said:
    Hi @leveey19

First of all, welcome to the community. It's good to have you with us, though I know it's not under the best of circumstances for you. 

Do you want to start off by telling us a bit more about what your letter said? From your comments, I'm guessing it's not the best of news. Particularly as you've asked about appealing the decision. But if you start off by giving us a bit more detail about the decision, our community members might be able to offer some further advice. 

Also, there's some more info on the Turn2Us website about what happens After your work capability assessment, including how to go about challenging a decision. That might be a helpful starting-point for you in terms of what I can gather from your first post.

In terms of how you're feeling, I know that this must be a difficult time for you. Can I ask, do you receive any support for your depression and anxiety? Are you in contact with your GP about that? Or any other services. Given that this is a bit of a difficult time for you, I thought it might be helpful to point you in the direction of some other services as well.
    Also, we're going to drop you a line via email, just to follow up with you on a couple of things you've mentioned. So, please do keep an eye out for that in the meantime. 

You take care and speak again soon. 

• LeighMo58027858
    janer1967 said:
    Good for you I had to appeal and go to tribunal but I won at tribunal 

I was originally found fit for work even though I was house bound at the time in a wheelchair had my leg amputated and vision impaired 

Let us know how you get on.
    Omg that's terrible, well I guess at least they found me limited for work which is something I guess, I was dreading it coming back fit for work but I'm struggling so much with the pittence I get ATM, 380 a month, its simply not enough to live on.  I'm glad you won the appeal though sickened it had to get to that stage.
  • LeighMo58027858
    edited May 2021
    I don't really receive any support , the doctor just gave meds and that was that, they've not helped not even a little, they have helped me eat better as I was underweight, 9 stone, 5.8, 36 year old man and sleep better, I take mitrazapine 30ml a day, I do have a drug and alcohol key worker but barely see them because they expect me to travel miles when I suffer from anxiety depression and have panic attacks if I go out. I started using hard drugs to deal with this, which just made things worse, buy I was self medicating.

Thank you for the replys
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leveey19 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry about the problems you're facing with your mental health, which is every bit as valid as someone having physical problems. If you could get help with your MR from a welfare rights officer, this may help your claim. There's a UC regulation similar to one with ESA, that they could highlight. See section G3020 in the following link.
    'The claimant is treated as having LCWRA if they are suffering from a specific illness, disease or bodily or mental disablement, by reason of which there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have LCWRA – UC Regs, reg 40(5) & Sch 9, para 4' from: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/866944/admg3.pdf
    Search if there's a welfare rights office near you with this link: https://advicelocal.uk/   & see if they feel the above regulation may help you. Failing that, might your GP write a supportive letter to accompany your MR?
  • LeighMo58027858
    edited May 2021
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @leveey19 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry about the problems you're facing with your mental health, which is every bit as valid as someone having physical problems. If you could get help with your MR from a welfare rights officer, this may help your claim. There's a UC regulation similar to one with ESA, that they could highlight. See section G3020 in the following link.
    'The claimant is treated as having LCWRA if they are suffering from a specific illness, disease or bodily or mental disablement, by reason of which there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have LCWRA – UC Regs, reg 40(5) & Sch 9, para 4' from: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/866944/admg3.pdf
    Search if there's a welfare rights office near you with this link: https://advicelocal.uk/   & see if they feel the above regulation may help you. Failing that, might your GP write a supportive letter to accompany your MR?
    I could ask my doctor, basivlly to give you an idea, every morning I wake up I have this dissapointed feeling, almost like a gutted feeling when I realise I'm still here, even more so if its a nice dream I remember though most I don't but feel same, I have no energy , not interested in anything, I don't go to any family gatherings which upsets my mum , she's my best witness to the state of my mental health , I have panic attacks if I have to go someone unfimliar , like feel dizzy light headed and shake. Its pathetic. I don't know what else I would say to them other than that and I've lost the will to live and things are getting worse not better and all this **** only makes things worse. I can't sleep so have irregular sleep patterns. I'm most happy when I'm asleep.

Lost previous jobs because of these problems

This is the only thing I can think to write to them. Working is the absolute last thing on my mind, I don't have the courage to kill myself.

Being forced to have meeting with a job coach would makevtgings even worse if that's possible.

By welfare rights is this what you mean ? I live in Bournemouth , Dorset

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/local-dashboard/detail/Benefit advice services/8025/The-Macmillan-Poole-and-Bournemouth-Welfare-Benefits-Advice-Service
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @leveey19

I'm sorry to see you didn't receive a reply, how have you been lately? Are you still experiencing difficulties with your mental health? 

I'm not sure if you saw our email that we sent you last weekend, but it contained some offers of support that you might wish to consider. 

You mentioned that you don't receive much help from your GP, when was the last time you spoke with them about how you feel? And have you sought further support for your alcohol and drug use, it doesn't seem as though the current support you have in place is working for you. I do wonder if your drug and alcohol key worker could communicate with you virtually rather than in person if the in person meetings don't work for you? You could also consider the following resources:

Regarding how you're feeling, below you can find a number of services that you can access if you feel as though you need to speak with anyone, or access help:

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @leevey19 - & apologies I missed your last message. To see if there's a Welfare Rights Office (WRO) near you try the link I gave before: https://advicelocal.uk/ There's also Citizens Advice: https://advicefinder.turn2us.org.uk/Home/Details/3554
    I think the link you found will be for those affected by cancer, with it saying Macmillan. I hope you manage to receive some help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.