Hi, my name is Narvia! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Narvia!

Narvia
Narvia Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
I have suffered Chronic and Hemiplegic Migraines for a while now but recently it has gotten so bad that it now affects my mobility. My health has gotten so bad that I have had to leave my teaching job. I am finding it hard going from being so independent to having to rely on my loved ones for help. Luckily my PIP claim got approved which has made things easier.I want to make new friends,seek advice and share my experiences. Thanks!

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Narvia - welcome to the community & thank you for joining & sharing about yourself. I'm sure you'll find this a very friendly & supportive group, & I look forward to your future input too; we all learn from each other. :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Narvia welcome to the forum sorry to read about your condition and how it effects you  have you spoken to your drs about how worse it has gotten.
    Lots of us here go talk to and lots of topics to join in with, specially in coffee lounge.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

You might like to start in our coffee lounge for general discussions or our recent discussions 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Narvia and welcome to the community :) 

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with your health lately, you've certainly come to the right place to meet friends and access peer support, this is a very supportive and welcoming community.

Is your GP aware of your Chronic and Hemiplegic Migraines ? And have they been supporting you to manage that and your mental health? It seems as though recent events have impacted your well-being. 

It's good that you clearly have very supportive and helpful loved ones, but I understand why you might feel bad for relying on them. I'm sure they won't see it as an issue though, I imagine they're delighted to help out where they can and in time I imagine you'll adapt and regain some of that independence you feel as though you've lost.

I'm glad that your PIP claim was accepted, have you ensured that you are receiving all other benefits that you may be entitled to after having to leave work? You can use a benefit calculator to try and estimate your entitlement.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Narvia
    Narvia Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thanks for all the great comments. My Dr's do know. I have tried like practically every migraine medicine out there. Just recently stopped botox as my neurologist could see it was actually making things worse. I have tried massages and acupuncture too and they didn't help. I see a private therapist as years ago I suffered depression. I continue to see my therapist as she is a great support even though pricey lol. 
    To be honest no I haven't applied for any other benefits as my partner earns enough so I thought I would not be entitled to jobs seekers and not employed anymore so no ESA. 
    My loved ones are very supportive thanks and yes not easy dealing with guilt and thoughts of being a burden. Which of course I know is incorrect. 
    Thanks everyone!

Brightness