Low Carb dieter's — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Low Carb dieter's

Options
22Putney
22Putney Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hello, is anyone in trying low carb eating? I am trying to get grips with it, so much conflicting information seems to be baffling.!

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @22Putney

I agree that it can be quite a confusing subject to understand at times, if you've seen plenty of conflicting information have you considered speaking with your GP or another professional in relation to the best way you could go about it?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I eat reasonably low carb and have done for a while. Although you do need a carb treat sometimes. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any specifics you want to know?
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    I am curious about a low carb diet, just how low is low for example, once a week or less? 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Low carb is generally said to be below 130g of carbs per day. 
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    typically what might that look like for you in terms of actual foodstuffs?
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Breakfasts:
    1. Scrambled eggs with rivita crisp breads. 
    2. Boiled eggs and sausages. 
    3. Cereal bar.
    4. Berries with Greek yoghurt and granola. 

Lunches:
    1. Soup.
    2. Tuna and cheese salad. 
    3. Omelette with cheese and onion.
    4. Cream cheese on crackers. 

Evening meal:
    Typically fish of meat with veg and sometimes a very small amount of mash or roasties. 

Snacks: 
    Tend to stick to slices of meat, nuts, cheese, low carb snack bar, 1 digestive biscuit. 

Drinks:
    Water, tea and coffee. Sometimes the odd Pepsi max. 

Those are just my preferences though. 

Start by cutting out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. 

It’s nice to have a treat once a week though. 

I do this way of eating though because I find it easier to maintain my weight and blood sugar levels because I’m type one diabetic. 
  • 22Putney
    22Putney Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Thank you so much, I have just seen your email, I had so many when I first I
    Joined, I had to unlock loadd, now I can't get back to the page,! do you feel better for the diet, I did it years ago (before the half day craze really kicked in) The advice in on YouTube is mixed, thank you again, keep at it.

• kev1
    kev1 Community member Posts: 613 Pioneering
    Options
    I am following a low carb diet and have found 2 recipe books that have been very useful: The Diabetes Weight-loss cookbook and Reverse your Diabetes Cookbook both written by Katie & Giancarlo Caldes, nice recipes and all the carbs worked out for you and lots of info in the forward by Dr. David Unwin. There is a 30 minute cookbook but I haven't purchased that yet. The other 2 books I bought in The Works a bargain £6 each if I remember rightly. Good Luck with the Carb counting.

Brightness