SDP form filled in. Payment received today but not sure what it is! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP form filled in. Payment received today but not sure what it is!

mickfrankie
mickfrankie Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi so I was contact too phone job centre plus and get a form filled in for sevre disability premium roughly 4 weeks ago. Today I've woken up too a £268. Payment in my bank. Not on my normal day of receiving my ESA so I'm guessing it's related too that. Is this the backpay I'm getting? As I've been entitled too SDP since April 2020 but only this year been aware it even existed. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mickfrankie
    Hi so long story cut as short as I possibly can. I've been claiming IR ESA and Enhanced Rate care PIP for 4 years+ I had a carer (my mum) up until roughly August last year which she then stopped claiming as she moved away from me so was no longer able to provide the care. She phoned them cancelled it all. Around 3 weeks ago I received a text that I need to phone so and so too discuss my ESA claim. In which I did, to find out it was too see if I was entitled too a disability Premium. I had no idea what these premiums was and that I could even get such thing. So 3 weeks on and today I had a random £286.85 ESA payment hit my bank. Not the normal day I get my ESA so it can only be related too the disability premiums. I'm not sure what it's for, I mean surely it's not back pay as I would be entitled too much more than that if it gets backdated too when my mum stopped caring for me? I'm not sure what too think. Do they give you payments from when you filled out the form for disability premiums whilst the backdate is being processed? Any answers much appreciated. Thank you!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Backpay of SDP for a year would be a lot more than £268. £268 is about 4 weeks of SDP. Only way to check what it is for is to ring DWP. If you wait you will probably get a letter within the next week to 10 days.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mickfrankie and a warm welcome to our online community.

I've merged your threads together as they are covering the same question and so we can keep all replies in one place :)  As @calcotti advised, the only way to be sure what the payment is, is by ringing DWP.  

Please let us know how you get on and we're here if you ever have any other questions.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • mickfrankie
    calcotti said:
    Just got of the phone too them. Its back pay since 9th April this year. The lady on the phone said carers did stop 19th October last year. So she's requested for someone too call me regarding this and give me more information as too why I'm not being backpaid too 19th October last year and only a month's worth. Any advise on what too say once they phone me? 
  • calcotti
    All you can say is that if the CA stopped in October you understand that you meet the qualifying conditions for SDP so believe you are entitled to receive it for that period.

Make a note of any explanation you are given. When you get a letter if they have only allowed it from April this year you can request a Mandatory Reconsideration.
  • mickfrankie
    Great OK. That's if I get a call back I've never got a call back from them before when requested haha. 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Great OK. That's if I get a call back I've never got a call back from them before when requested haha. 
    Once you have the letter you can request an MR regarding the appropriate date for backdating anyway. Do you know if your mum has a letter confirming the date her CA stopped?
  • mickfrankie
    calcotti said:
    Once you have the letter you can request an MR regarding the appropriate date for backdating anyway. Do you know if your mum has a letter confirming the date her CA stopped?
    I will be having a good search through her letters for it. The exact amount I received is £268.85 back payment from 9th April and I last received my ESA on 6th May. I'm just so confused by it. Didn't help that the lady on the other end of the phone this morning wasn't helpful in the slightest.. maybe not a morning person who knows lol. 
  • calcotti
    £268.85 is three weeks of SDP at £37.60 and one at week at £66.95 (the rate before 12th April).
  • mickfrankie
    calcotti said:
    £268.85 is three weeks of SDP at £37.60 and one at week at £66.95 (the rate before 12th April).
    So what will be my new weekly rate? Will I just be getting the disability premium or the severe? Sorry too ask so many questions!
  • calcotti
    calcotti said:
    So what will be my new weekly rate? Will I just be getting the disability premium or the severe? Sorry too ask so many questions!
    The SDP is extra to everything you were already getting.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.