How much housing benefit would I be entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How much housing benefit would I be entitled to?

hollyrig123
hollyrig123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

i recieve the higher rate of pip dla i am 29 years old and am also on uc i have recently moved would i be entitled to housing benefit cost of 449 a month?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Housing benefit doesn't exist for new claims anymore 

You need to apply for housing element of uc go to report a change and select housing costs 

I can't give the answer on if you will be entitled it depends on your circumstances 

You will need to have a tenancy agreement and a.ount will depend in if you are in social housing or private rent 

If social housing you full cost should be payable but if private rent you get the local housing authority rate for your circumstances 
  • hollyrig123
    im in private rent currently unemployed due to health issues and i have applied on the uc account they are aware of my new address its just my anxiety worrying ro much
  • janer1967
    Ok did you report your housing costs and details if so all you can do is wait 

Did you not claim before when you started on uc ? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    You'll have to check the LHA (local housing allowance) in your area to see how much housing element you're entitled to.  It's different across the country.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    im in private rent currently unemployed due to health issues and i have applied on the uc account they are aware of my new address its just my anxiety worrying ro much
    You need to do more than report a change of address. You need to report a change of circumstances in the housing section of your UC journal and give details of your new tenancy.
    You can find the applicable Local Housing Allowance rate for your postcode here Search for Local Housing Allowance rates by postcode or local authority : DirectGov - LHA Rates (voa.gov.uk)
    The help you get will be the lower of the applicable LHA rate or your actual rent.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Universal credit pay  up to 450 of your rent you pay the rest 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As OverlyAnxious has said, the LHA is different across the country, & calcotti has given a link for the poster to find out more @lisathomas50
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Didn't realise you got that much on u/c.
    I don't get that on esa and pips!
  • Lisatho11987777
  • janer1967
    @lisathomas50 as above how much you get depends on local housing allowance and your age   your number of bedrooms allowed and so on  

It isn't the same for everyone 

Again please ensure you give factual information and check this before confusing people 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @hollyrig123 and welcome to our community.  I hope you're settling into your new home.

As you can see, the amount of UC housing element you are entitled to is dependent on multiple factors and we cannot offer any guarantees.  If you follow the link provided by @calcotti you'll find the local housing allowance based on your situation.  Plus, don't forget to report that change of circumstances in your UC journal's housing section.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and good luck :)  

Also, as not to confuse you: I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to 'What benefits am I entitled to?' incase others have similar questions in the future.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    hello, the PIP benefits do not come into the financial calculations when applying for other benefits. When I was claiming ESA support group my full rent and council tax was paid. Now I am claiming state pension and my wife Carer’s allowance these are deducted from our Universal Credit award. We are private renting protected tenancy. As the 2.5% pension increase came into effect our UC award went down accordingly.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 private rent don't have bedroom tax universal credit can only pay up to 450.00 a month I didn't say everyone gets the same  that is the most they can pay if your rent goes above that with private rent they will only pay that amount 

Example I live in a large three bedroom house on my own my rent was 500.00  amibth so I had to pay 50.00 and universal credit paid 450.00 my rent is now 550.00 so I now have to pay 100.00 a month and universal credit pay 450.00 because its all they can pay 

My  friend lives in a bigger house  and has children and private rent she still only gets the maximum of 450.00 a month and has to pay the remaining herself 

Private rent is different to council  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hello @lisathomas50

I hope you are well.

I don't believe @janer1967 has mentioned the bedroom tax and her information was correct.

There is no £450 a month limit to the housing element of Universal Credit. As has been explained throughout the thread the amount Universal Credit will pay for a private rental is based upon the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for a person's household circumstances, which takes into account the number of bedrooms required, the age of the renter and other benefits, as well as the area they are in. For example the LHA in some areas such as London can reach way over £1000.

As always, please ensure that all information you provide is accurate, especially when correcting other members, and try to back it up with sources whenever possible. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    edited May 2021
    @lisathomas50

I know private rent is different and doesn't involve bedroom tax and I never said it did , but your circumstances detetime the lha you are entitled to eg your age , number of occupants and other factors

If you look up lha for your area it will show the different allowances

It is a fixed amount for the area you live in and all areas are not the same so not everyone is £450 like yours is 

There is not a limit payable on uc like you say it depends on the lha

Areas with high rental costs would get more and low cost would get less 

How could you expect the amount to be the same in all areas eg London against my town 

Please before correcting me make sure your facts are correct 

There is nothing wrong with correcting anything I put as we all get things wrong at times but if I am not sure of my facts I always say I'm not 100% certain 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    wilko said:
    hello, the PIP benefits do not come into the financial calculations when applying for other benefits. When I was claiming ESA support group my full rent and council tax was paid. Now I am claiming state pension and my wife Carer’s allowance these are deducted from our Universal Credit award. We are private renting protected tenancy. As the 2.5% pension increase came into effect our UC award went down accordingly.
    Hi @wilko. Interestingly PIP does come into the equation when looking at LHA. For example on UC a single person under 35 in a private rental would only receive the shared room rate towards their rent. Whereas if the same single person received daily living PIP it would entitle them to the 1 bedroom allowance which is often substantially higher. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • hollyrig123
    Its Its all sorted now thanks 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    wilko said:
    Hi @wilko. Interestingly PIP does come into the equation when looking at LHA. For example on UC a single person under 35 in a private rental would only receive the shared room rate towards their rent. Whereas if the same single person received daily living PIP it would entitle them to the 1 bedroom allowance which is often substantially higher. 
    And of course If there are non dependants involved getting a relevant disability benefit (claimant or non dependant) means there’s will be no deduction for a housing costs contribution.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    @hollyrig123 Thanks for updating us. And glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @calcotti, thanks for that information, I am in an x tied house with a protected tenancy private rented more protection than normal private renters. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.