I feel I have to continue working part time, despite being in agony. What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I feel I have to continue working part time, despite being in agony. What can I do?

shortyt
shortyt Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi I'm working at the moment on amended hours with a docters amended hours certificate for a year I have contract for 30hrs per week have reduced my hours before to 16hrs over 4 days a week but since last September 2020 have reduced them to 12hrs per week over two days has travelling to work is to much even the 2 days I'm doing 6 hours for two days puts me in chronic pain and cant hardly walk by the time I get home each of the 2 days.i have 2 bulging discs hitting on my left and right nerves also have sciatica in both legs on a regular basis.i get universal credit to top up with my earnings have been claiming this since I first went on reduced hours in March 2019. I also have been awarded pip since last September only low rate I have also not long filled in a uc50 form and am waiting assessment for that.im finding it very hard to even manage these 2 days at work due to my pain and don't know what to do.i can't give up work as I think they will stop my universal credit if I do and won't be able to pay my rent/bills.
I am not entitled to ssp as I don't earn enough to qualify for this due to not earning £120.00 or more per week.so I feel I have to carry on with these two days even thou I'm in agony and some days I cant even complete my shift at work.
Please if anyone can help with any advance I would be grateful as I really don't know what to do for the best.
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I infer that you are currently receiving UC. When you look at your UC statements do these include a Work Allowance? If not, for every £1 you take home from work your UC is reduced by 63p. 

If you get a Fit Note from your GP saying you cannot work then you will not be sanctioned by UC for giving up work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • shortyt
    Hi just checked my uc and I get standard allowance as when I asked uc about the work allowance they said I don't have a child or I don't limited capability of work even thou they know about my condition I think until I have the limited capability of work assessment then it will make a difference. but if I get a certificate from docter that will only be a sick certificate I'm not sure how it works for him to lay me off work permanently.
  • calcotti
    shortyt said:
    Hi just checked my uc and I get standard allowance as when I asked uc about the work allowance they said I don't have a child or I don't limited capability of work even thou they know about my condition I think until I have the limited capability of work assessment then it will make a difference. but if I get a certificate from docter that will only be a sick certificate I'm not sure how it works for him to lay me off work permanently.
    That is correct but I wanted to confirm before expanding on my answer. Because you do not have a Work Allowance there is a deduction of 63p from your UC for every £1 you earn. This means that if you currently earn, say, £100/week and stopped work your UC would increase by £63/week so your total income would only reduce by £27. Whether or not this is affordable only you can decide.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • shortyt
    Ok some of it I understand and some I don't all I know is if I get the higher rate of work capability I know I will get a extra £348.00 per month but not sure if they would allow me to give up work and if I get the low rate I will £128.00 extra per month but will have to continue to work.
    Do you know if limited capability of work is ESA ?
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    As already advised if you obtain a Fit Note saying you are too ill to work you will not be sanctioned if you stop work. If you want reassurance discuss this with your work coach first.

If the result of the assessment is that you have LCWRA you will receive an extra £343.63/month.

If the result of the assessment is that you have LCW you do not get any extra money for that.

With either LCW or LCWRA you are not required to work but you would get a Work Allowance which means that if you were still doing some work a portion of your earnings would be ignored (£293 if your claim includes a housing element, £515 if it does not).
  • shortyt
    Ok many thanks for the information 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.