Sensory Team are amazing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sensory Team are amazing

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
I would highly recommend anyone registered as partially sighted explore their local authority sensory team 

I have had 3 visits now been helped with lots of practical gadgets and now the mobility expert is also involved 

The aim is to get me to be able to go out on my own in my power chair to a coffee shop a very short distance away 

They are showing me how to use what sight I have to focus on familiar focal points to aid my navigation 

This week I got out of the house and to the end of my road supervised but it gave me the confidence I need 

I know I will be able to do it myself after few more sessions 

Will then progress I hope to get to doctors and hairdressers again not too far from me 

It may not sound much to others but to me it's a bit of freedom 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    It all sounds very positive, I hope the progress continues ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes they are really good, I've worked along side them in the past, got some wonderful gadgets they give out to use, the best 1 I thought was the talking microwave,  amongst others.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    That is a great achievement well done :)

It's great when you find people who really can help isn't it?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's all great to hear @janer1967! I'm glad they've been so helpful :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    It's definitely great to read how helpful they are being. Great progress on your behalf. :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    This is very pleasing to read @janer1967! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed I can imagine the different levels of service across the country 

We are not going for cane training as it may not be suitable with being in chair and also I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands so they think I may not pick up the cane movements 

Time will tell all new at present but I can't fault what they have done so far 

They are coming out twice a week currently 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @janer1967 That's really positive, on all fronts. :)

Great that the sensory team have been able to help you with that sense of freedom and the feeling of confidence that you've been looking for. 

And great to hear some good feedback for a job well done by the sensory team. It's nice to be able to give praise where it's deserved. And your experience will no doubt help others who might be thinking about approaching their local team.

Thank you janer1967.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness