How long will my appeal take and how do I claim ESA while waiting? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long will my appeal take and how do I claim ESA while waiting?

Hartnsoul
Hartnsoul Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi, Ive just had my ESA stopped after 5 years, following my assessnent by phone in Dec '20. 
I have no income now, they dont give any warning! Because they decided I should have the disability element 4 years ago (not backdated to the start, should it have been?) I assumed as nothing else had changed despite my overall fitness decreasing, it would continue. It appears suddenly I have no points, no condition (its permanent) and no medications that cause problems of their own too. None of this was asked about in my assessment othet than is it still the same. Im shocked its been omitted and the lies in my assessment were unbelievable. I wrote everything down and filled in my appeal online. It took over a week as I was so stressed and depressed about it all. What Im worried about now is I said my voluntary help was now reduced to a few hrs a month and he has used that to say Im fit for work. Im ok to do that small bit, the DWP know about it, Ive never lied about it and my GP knows it keeps me going to do a little bit but now Im concerned itll go against renewing my claim via appeal. 
How long will my appeal take and how do I claim ESA while waiting? I have nothing to live on and been told to apply for DHB for bedroom tax, and to ask Housing Benefits to assess my rent on no income while waiting to see if I get any income. Its put me right into depression once again after spending years overcoming it. Do I need a fit note to apply for ESA while my appeals pending? My GP said I have limited capacity and Im vulnerable so must continue to heed her advice to shield.
How on earth can I get a paid  job for a couple of hours a month that pays well and works around my health and all my many appointments? Im worried theyll cut me off again and expect me to miraculously be able to get paid employment I cannot manage? I thought there was a support group for things like this? I didnt reapply for PIP after getting refused before but have been advised to reapply ss my health is getting worse and Im.2 years from.retirement now, but if my appeal isnt successful surely theyre unlilely to pay PIP?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    If I understand you correctly you have lodged an appeal direct to the tribunal service. if that is correct ring ESA and tell them and they should start paying you again - but only at the assessment rate,

I assume you are getting Housing Benefit already, just keep them informed. Applying for a DHP to help with bedroom tax is a good idea.

Appeal times vary but can be lengthy.

PIP and ESA are different benefits with different rules. Don’t be put off applying for PIP just because your ESA has stopped. Make sure you understand the rules and be clear in your mind what you think you should score points for.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hartnsoul
    Thank you for your response. SorrybI havent been back on here as all this hassle has just triggered my depression Ive been able to manage well for years up til now. 
    Im looking at an application for DHP now my housing benefit has been reinstated minus bedroom tax. 
    The dwp finally paid my basic rate ESA after leaving me with nothing to live on at all for 6 weeks. Its been a nightmare. Ive been bombarded with letters, 6 in one day from the dwp. One letter dated 22 Feb said I needed a medical certificate (which Id already asked about and was informed it wasnt required) In that letter they stated they needed to receive the certificate by 4 Feb. Another letter reced same date was dated 23 Feb, stating they required a certificate by 17 Feb. I cannot believe how much paperwork and postage, plus utter incompetence by the dwp.

The Dr signed me not fit to work, shielding due to my condition and I also asked her for a letter regarding my cardiac condition and ability to work. She says its obvious I have limited capability despite wanting to do something and will supply a letter. I also wrote to my constant to request that I stop taking my heart meds so I can manage to be out for a whole day at a time to get back to work. They wont be happy about that but the meds drain me and cause other problems but keep my arrhythmias stable. I cant manage both, its either work and risk my hrart stopping or meds to keep it stable but side effects.
    The health assessment claims no medication is an excuse to prevent returning to work. It doesnt mention my cardiac condition at all or any of my meds in my assessment! It does contain twisted versions of my account, including a couple of blatant lies. I already wrote to contest these points and said will forward Drs letter shortly, sent in the certificate, yet they wrote back stating their decision has not changed! Does this mean theyre stopping my appeal, or just refusing any evidence? Im at my wits end now, I will never trust anyone from there again. It appears theyve made a decision regardless of any proof and would rather lie than include ny medical information. Any advice would be welcome. Id rip it all up and bin it but I cant afford to. They are just going to lie all the way. Can I ask for a copy of the recording of my interview to prove the lies? I was told previously I have to be assessed by a doctor, but he wasnt in for that assessment in 2018. When they did this assessment it was by phone only, by an office clerk I think, def not a doctor as he never asked about much except was my health condition still the same. That was it, end of questions about my condition! Because I can do most things independently I scored no points yet no mebtion of any struggles I have and how exhausting it all is, plus my general health is worse. I feel they should reassess by a medical professional first but its got to be an appeal against their misrepresentation and lies. 
  • Hartnsoul
    Sorry about typos, small buttons and arm problem its hard to type properly on my phone. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hartnsoul :) I was just wondering whether you had any updates on this? Have you heard anything about your appeal?

I was also wondering how your physical and mental health was? You mentioned that the stress of this has triggered your depression- how are things now? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Hartnsoul
    Hi. No Ive notvheard anythjng further about my appeal yet but I still need a consultants letter and it seems my Drs letter needs more information included before sending so Im pleased to have the extra time to get things together. Ive gone through the DWP papers and got more shocks with what theyve written so Ive contested their assessment and said if they have a recording of the telephone assessment theyd hear the actual true version of what was said. Considering I have a cardiac condition, angina and get vertigo the assessor has asked that the panel ignore any breathlessness and dizzyness. Thats totally relevant to my condition and affects my daily activities so how can it be disregarded? By failing to mention my condition at all it doesnt mean it does not exist, it means they are choosing to over ride my GP and consultants assessments and ignore it, ruling out any claim! Is that not incompetent or fraudulent?
    I am also awaiting a decision about DHP as my bedroom tax debt is still growing weekly, but I have not yet applied for pip until I get all relevant reports sent off re my appeal. 
    They started paying me basic rate ESA but yesterday my bank card was refused for ny food shopping and for topping up my electric. Turns out they have stopped my payments because they havent received my Drs Fit note yet. I now have two failed DDs and will be charged £30 for it. I could cry, I'm already struggling to manage. They said they allow 6 days to receive the fit note but I piinted out they sent their letter requesting it 2nd class and over the bank holiday weekend so once I got it I called my dr but she was on leave bank hol week. It took over a week of trying to get an appointment with her. She signed me unfit to work for another 3 months and by the time I got the note home and in the post next day it possibly didnt go til.Sun or Mon post, in their 2nd class envelope. Not a chance of a 6 day turnaround when their letter takes 5 days to arrive! They said they havent got it today either but surely they shouldve got it by now. Its probably in someones in tray while my electric and foods running out. Im getting to the stage that Im losing my battle with depression now, I feel its all a waste of time dealing with the DWP, which I guess is what they want. If they make everything so hard ppl give up. If it wasnt for the lies in my health assessment fuelling me to challenge it I would just bin the lot. Unfortunately its not helping though, I know I cant get back to.full time work and Im limited with my health but I need to get out of this system. Even my voluntary job has dropped me now I can't step up more, thats really hurt and knocked my confidence sideways. The assessment was holding that against me too, but if I cant manage with a few hrs a month from home I dont know who will pay me full time for any less than that! Im just at the end of my tether now with it all. 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    For future reference note that you can upload a Fit Note for ESA here https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hartnsoul
    edited May 2021
    @calcotti
    Thanks. My Dr sent a copy online but its not signed and the DWP wont accept unsigned certificates. When I discovered they hadnt received my certificate by post all week I ended up sending a photograph of my certificate and that was acknowleged. When I called six days after posting my certificate back thwy said they hadnt received my note yet I got a text that morning saying they had! The following Monday I received another text saying they would action it. The following day they paid my ESA into the bank, one week late and enough to cost me 2 failed direct debits, over half my income for the week after bedroom tax arrears and co tax.

The cardiac unit picked up something via my heart monitor and called me in for checking. I have had an echocardiogram and 24 hr wearable monitor (apparently more accurate than my home monitor) so I am now awaiting a consultants appointment for an update on my condition. She will write to my Dr with the results so I will have an update hopefully in time for my appeal hearing. 
    As my voluntary work is no more will the appeal take that into account as its happened since my assessment? 
    Im feeling quite depressed about it all going badly. I feel that my condition, because it can't obviously be seen means I look well but just because its not visible doesnt mean its not there. My Dr says its ridiculous to advise the appeal panel to ignore any pain discomfort or breathlessness, and any dizziness as its totally relevant to my cardiac condition. I need to ask her to add that to her letter for my appeal so I havent got the completed letter to send off with my objections yet. 
    Im stressed enough with all the running around trying to get my evidence when I dont have the energy to cope. Im also stressed in case Im not fit enough to attend my appeal when the date comes as I dont want it to be by telephone after the untrue assessment. I need the time to get organised but I wish it was over with. However, if it doesnt go well I will be stuck in an impossible situation of trying to find employment that I can manage just over a year before my pension. 
    A friend told me the same thing happened to someone she works with, she was doing voluntary work a few hours a week to fit around her disability, lost her appeal and they appreciate she has a year til her pension so not easy to find suitable work, just put her onto UC and make the obligatory calls to 'check she is actively seeking work'.I wonder if this is what they are doing to peole now just to get them off disability? 
    Im finding it so hard to pay my bills now, I need to increase my income somehow. Its an impossible situation, Id be far better off on my pension but ideally Id love to get well and return to the job I loved doing. Im depressed but I dont want my Dr to put me on anti depressants again, I just want this nightmare over with. 
    Also should I take someone to my appeal with me? Any tips for presenting my appeal would be welcome. Thanks. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @HeartnSoul

Thanks for your response. Could I ask if you are able to manage  your mental health at the minute? You seem to be struggling with your depression and stress, and on the 21st you said that you feel as though you are losing your battle with depression . I appreciate that you don't want to be put back on medication, but is your GP at least aware of how you feel at the minute? Is there any other kind of support that would be available for you and do you have firends or family members to help you through this time? 

Hopefully you get the update from the cardiac unit soon, and that it's positive news. Try your best to take your mind off it for a bit and give yourself time to relax :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there I am sorry you are going through all this 

Just a couple if points to note 

They do not record assessments so this isn't an option  

Assessments are not completed by admin cketjs they are done by people with medical knowledge not doctors but more often paramedics or physio or ex nurses 

You can't prove lies by assessors as they don't report on what you said they report their own opinion of your functionality to perform the tasks based on how you answer 

I would strongly recommend you get some expert help and representation  for your appeal try welfare rights

If you can't find a rep yes take someone with you but they can only support you they will expect you to present your case 

Good luck fingers crossed for you 

• Hartnsoul
    Thank you for your replies. 
    To update, I am still awaiting a consultants appointment for the results of my cardiac tests last month.
    I could really do with my cardiologist to supply a letter/report on my cardiac condition and how it affects my daily health but its a waiting game. 
    My GP did write a letter for me but it was rather vague and mentioned the symptoms Id complained about adding 'and has limited capability to work'. It could read as my opinion or hers! So I wrote a letter to thank her but asked if she could mention a few more things to give a report and confirm if in 'her opinion, I have limited capability to work'. I am.still awaiting a response. 
    In the meantime I received a letter last week stating my appeal will be on 24 June....by telephone.
    No way do I want a telephone appeal after the misrepresentation of my health assessment by phone! I phoned the courts to change it and explained then today I received a letter stating it would be changed to a later date, but not confirming it will be a face to face appeal. I will call tomorrow to check that important point. The delay will give more time to get the medical info I need but its all taking so long. I have tweaked my appeal letter to forward with my medical back up, once received, to the appeal ahead of the date. I just wish things could get sorted asap so I can provide medical evidence at my appeal.
    Hence no rush to get my appeal date yet, but financially I am really struggling and still trying to sort out my DHP application along with student loans now on my back stating the loans were not cancelled at age 60 and I now have arrears they are going to court to recover. I protested that I was on the old grant and loan system when I started in '97 and stopped deferring when I turned 60 as they shouldve been cancelled.  I was on disability for the last few years so I deferred. The cotrect info clearly was not passed over to the new company. They are going ahead with court action stating Im wrong! I have asked them for proof of this, to no avail. All added stress now. 

Im trying desperately to survive all this but struggle to cope with so much do do and waiting endlessly for results. My angina has been a lot worse since my tests and is making me feel worse. I have no energy to cope physically which is so frustrating too and using the spray for my angina gives severe headaches for days and makes it too hard to do anything but take painkillers and sleep it off. I need to be fit to cope with disability and all the hassle and stress that goes with it.
    I did mention in my letter to my Dr that its making it hard to cope with depression. I don't know if she is waiting for me to call or whether she will supply the report, or whether its going to be ignored. Its just another problem to sort out...
    I just feel its constant pressure and feel like giving up, which is what the DWP clearly want people to do. Then I think Ive been through so much worse, and fought for everything, I just have another battle to fight, then another... its only 20 months til I will be on my pension at last and will be far better off financially, but at this rate I will be forced back to employment with hours and work I can't physically manage, just to afford to live, even if it kills me.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Hartnsoul said:
    My GP did write a letter for me but it was rather vague and mentioned the symptoms Id complained about adding 'and has limited capability to work'. It could read as my opinion or hers! So I wrote a letter to thank her but asked if she could mention a few more things to give a report and confirm if in 'her opinion, I have limited capability to work'. 
    Which rather confirms the opinion often stated that GP letters are of limited use. They do not observe you throughout the day and are therefore unable to provide much information about how you are affected by your illness. The bestthey Do is report what you have told them which is of no value. Your GP has already stated that they think you have limitations on your ability to work by issuing a Fit Note.
    Hartnsoul said:
    No way do I want a telephone appeal after the misrepresentation of my health assessment by phone! I phoned the courts to change it and explained then today I received a letter stating it would be changed to a later date, but not confirming it will be a face to face appeal. 
    If you insist on a face to face hearing you will be waiting a much longer time. The role of a tribunal is very different to the assessment provider and telephone tribunals seem to have worked well for many.
    Hartnsoul said:
    I just feel its constant pressure and feel like giving up, which is what the DWP clearly want people to do. 
    The tribunal process you are now going through has nothing to do with DWP. It is administered by the Courts and Tribunals Service.

You seem to be very focused on medical evidence. What the tribunal wants to understand is how your health conditions affect you. The best person to explain this to them is you. What happens when you try and do things? If you can do them how often can you and how do you feel afterwards etc.
    Make sure you understand the points system and the reliability test.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Your own evidence is the most important thing. The most common phrase in a tribunal decision is “the tribunal placed reliance in the claimant’s testimony” (or words to that effect).
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hello @Hartnsoul

I'm sorry to read that you are finding things difficult at the minute, it seems as though these vents have impacted your mental health. 

Is your GP aware of how everything is making you feel? Do you think you are receiving all the support you need to manage your mental health? 

We have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk with further information.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    In terms of face to face hearings there are currently no backlogs 
    Thanks Mike. Apologies to OP for misleading them.
  • Hartnsoul
    Thank you for your replies. 
    I am still awaiting a cardiolist appt with my consultant so her secretary said I can ask for a letter when I see her as she will write to my GP with her findings and send me a copy. 
    I explained I could do with sonething from her as proof of my condition to presebt to the tribunal but she said hospital discharge letters will be useful for that and my consultant is v unlikely to comment until she has seen me, all in due time. 
    I appreciate it tales time to get the date for an appeal hearing, Ive certainly needed it to get on top of eveeything. My GP wrote nack with more details but not as much as hoped as she put my Consultant will know far more than her about my cardiac details. She said Id mentioned my depression in my letter to her and put it down to all the bereavements of my mum and two very good close friends in the past 5 yrs, amongst several others. I feel I need a clear head to get this sorted and really dont want to be on anti depressants, Id rather sort out the root cause as much as I can then deal with my depression easier in my own way knowing Ive dine all I possibly can at each stage. I am used to fighting for justice! 

I am surprised to hear they wont keep recordings of the health assessment. I had asked the appeal panel to listen to it and tell me exactly where the lues, the words my hcp quoted me as saying, actually came from my mouth. They wont find it in that interview, as its a blatant lie he has quoted me as saying. I hope there is a recording as I could take that further legally Im sure. 
    Also, if as told on my attendance at a health assessmebt that due to the complexity of my condition I can only be seen by a qualified doctor, and no one else, I wonder why that rule suddenly failed to apply on this occasion? Can I insist that remains the case? If so the hcps (office clerks) assessment would be invalid unless he has suitable qualifications, which he clearly did not. Or is it a case of during covid all rules are bent to suit? I must admit Im still in shock.over the whole experience. 
    Thank you for responding, it does help to have someone who can give advice as otherwise Id feel totally stitched up by the health assessment system thats led to this. 
  • Hartnsoul
    Thank you for your reply.
    The question about my health assessment having to be completed by a Dr was from my Health assessment in 2018 when I made so much effort to get there only to be told that was the case. The hca there could not do my health assessment on the day because there were no doctors there. She was very insistebt it must be a Doctor! They couldnt do my assessment on two other occasions as I was in hospital CCU each time. 
    My health assessment report does not mention anything about my condition that I was awarded disability for, plus they've asked the panel to disregard that the problems it causes, ie pain, discomfort and breathlessness, which are a significant part of my heart condition. Its like saying they are going to completely ignore my health condition and anything related to it, so why would I be appealling their decision. I totally object to their lies too, but as you say its going to be difficult to prove the hca has lied. 
    He has quoted me saying something totally untrue, it was him finishing my sentences and not allowing me to speak myself but he has actually quoted me as saying it. It looks so bad on my health assessment I feel like taking that further, but I guess its his word against mine. I just cannot stand liars who cheat for their own benefit. 
    I feel if I don't have proof of my condition in some form they will dismiss the effects caused too and write off my case.
    They are using a form I completed in May 2018, which the hca states I have completed wrongly. I dont know how, maybe honesty was wrong in that case as I put 'it varies' for a lot of things, meaning I can do things on a good day but cannot on others. Ive learned since that youre supposed to put bad day scenarios as standard! I got no points for any of those answers because of it although things have changed, my meds have changed and my health has declined since 2018. I thought they may have given me an updated form to complete in the last 3.5 years but they are sticking to the old version for current information. It all seems wrong for a health assessment! Going through the form now Id have at least 15 points easily but they havent asked me to complete one since May 18. Coupled with the skewed report of my capabilities and ignoring my condition and the difficulties, they may as well say Im fit and healthy and don't need to be there. If only that was the case! 
    However, as you say, I will focus on my weaknesses and the effects of my condition now. Im just stressed about the whole case and worried that it will be dismissed and I will suddenly have to find a way to get well enough to go back to work when I know I can't manage to get washed and dressed some days, never mind attempt to leave the house. 

Im still awaiting recent test results before knowing what will happen next re my treatment so I can only explain how my health is affecting me currently. 
  • calcotti
    Hartnsoul said:.. Ive learned since that youre supposed to put bad day scenarios as standard!..
    As Mike says, that is wrong. PIP is assessed on how you are on the majority of days. 
  • Hartnsoul
    The assessment is for ESA not PIP btw. Not sure it if makes any difference?
    I havent applied for PIP, this is enough stress.

Re recording the worst case scenario on a typical.day I have actually been told that by three different advisory sources now. Not that Ive been asked to complete any forms in over 3 years now so the info they have used is completely out of date. My health and meds have all changed since then plus a further health complication has appeared in the past few years, only months after Id completed the last form but that was still a considerably long  time ago and health can easily change in over 3 years. Admittedly I have got more unfit while isolating and I am now trying to exercise and get fitter again but its very slow as I just don't have the energy I even had pre lockdown. That can improve, I hope, but my condition remains the same as when they decided I was disabled 4 years ago.

I have revisted my response and have taken the advice to look for weaknesses in my evidence. I cant present my case other than with honesty and the facts about how my daily life is impaired and other peripheral illnesses arent helping either as each thing has a knock on effect. Ive been very depressed lately and finding it difficult to keep on top of things. Even the small bit of voluntary work has been pulled from me so thats been quite distressing too. It an insult to be told Im not even up to a bit of voluntary help from home for less than an hour a week. That was helping to keep my spirits up but Im feeling quite useless at everything now. So with this appeal, covid and no longer wanted for work, and my current health issues on top of bereavement and my relationship ending Im nowhere near as fit and happy as Id like to be. I just want this over with now.

I received a letter today now have a hearing date for the week after next. Still haven't seen my consultant yet for an update and test results so disappointing that isnt before the hearing. I couldve done with a letter to add for my hearing but no chance now. Im almost resigned to losing this appeal and worried I wont be able to go on the day if I get too ill. I am so anxious about how Im going to find a new job for a year til my retirement with my health as it is. I can't even leave the house some days, I have a continuous headache and vertigo and my angina is worse with the stress, never mind my cardiac condition and the other problems too. Im trying not to think about it too much but I still have lots of papers to send them yet. I just feel I cant cope with this any more. 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Hartnsoul said:..Re recording the worst case scenario on a typical.day ...
    If your condition fluctuates then the ‘worst case scenario’ is not typical. What need some to be determined is what you can do on most days. So if you are describing ‘bad days’ you have to be clear how often these occur and place them in the context of ‘good days’ too.

See
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/925097/wca-handbook.pdf
    pages 73 to 74
    The approved Health Care Professionals choice of descriptors should reflect what the person is capable of doing for most of the time. In other words, could the person normally carry out the stated activity when called upon to do so?

For conditions which vary from day to day a reasonable approach would be to choose the functional descriptors which apply for the majority of the days.

Detailed exploration of the frequency of the “good” and “bad” days, what activities can be done on “good” days and on “bad”, what makes a day “good” or “bad”, any specific triggers/precipitating factors for the “bad” days, etc is required in order to be able to choose the appropriate descriptors.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hello @Hartnsoul

Sorry to hear about how much this is still impacting your well-being, I hope the advice above from other members has been helpful. 

I believe we were in contact with you a couple of weeks ago, do ensure you take note of the resources in our email and utilise them if you feel you need support. Have you had any further contact lately with your GP about how you feel? If you want to chat about anything, you can always get in touch with us at community@scope.org.uk. 

Take care

• Hartnsoul
    Hi, I just want to update you and thank you for your advice on here. It really did help to be able to discuss it and the advice was welcome and certainly helped witb reviewing my appeal presentation. 
    As you probably gathered, I was getting extremely stressed and feeling like giving up but on reading through the report following my health assessment in December the lies really fuelled my determination to get justice, no matter what so I submitted my appeal. I read all Id written after a break from it and I did look for the weaknesses in my case, edited it all and sent in my appeal.along with my consultants letters about my condition, and my Doctors letter with her opinion, all obtained in the extra time I had, fortunately. 
    I had my appeal at the end of July, I was seriously stressed as I didnt think I was ever going to get out of hospital in time! I then had one day only to get organised for my appeal but made it. Friends took me in and were on standby to come in if needed so I felt well supported although the ine who wouldve been more useful was too nervous with it being held in the courts. Thats rather intimidating to start with. I was asked one question by the judge and 4 questions by the Doctor who clearly knew sufficient about cardiac issues from the questions he asked. They left the room for 3 minutes total and returned with their decision to grant my appeal. Whilst my criteria generally did not guarantee the points required, my condition eas considered serious enough to cause concerns about wven putting me in the work related ESA group so theyve returned me to my previous ESA claim with disability. Although not mentioned I handed over a copy if the recent hospital discharge papers from 2 days previous which probably reassured them theyd made the best decision, and if they needed more proof of how it affects me I promptly collapsed on the way out the room and was carted back to A&E in an ambulance again. The worst thing was they put me on another new med thats made me so ill since Ive been incapable of doing much at all so Ive had to stop them in order to function and attend medical appointments. Not exactly a celebration, I think the stress triggered more cardiac problems and I just feel I will never get better now. Im still unable to get consent to drive again and facing this appeal and having to write everything down about my condition has made me realise just how incapacitated I am and losing my voluntary role was upsetting. I am very up and down mentally now and trying once again to combat the depression its all brought back again. I so wish I was well enough to be back in the job I really loved it was great to get out of bed for every day. This situation has made me question life, and everything now, but I need to get rid of this dark cloud to be able to bounce back from it again. 
    During my appeal I succesfully received DHP at 3 month intervals, the first backdated to Feb and the second 3 months til last week. They paid during the appeal wait only and its now ended. Im really grateful for that and apparently I don't have to repay it so its been a great help. 
    The appeal decision was confirmed in writing with a recommendation that they do not reassess me within a year. By that time I will be only months away from my pension anyway and will be far better off financially and hopefully without any dwp intervention. Its sad to think.I probably won't have anything to retire from, Id got visions of working well into my 70s as I loved my work. I still dream of getting back to it yet and getting back to driving again but its faded recently into what is/may be the reality of my condition. Preparing for this appeal has taught me that I dont think Id ever grasped the full extent or impact of my condition and I had been blissfully hoping once my meds are all sorted Id gradually feel better again and Id eventually get back to my usual lifestyle. Although its a permanent condition Id somehow acceoted it as a temporary glitch and Id be back again, bigger and better! I am now looking at getting some counselling for this as its really getting me down.
    The Doctor at my appeal asked if I had applied for or was getting PIP. I said no but I would take the advice to reapply for it, following my appeal. He agreed I should so I will do that but I haven't been keen to go through any more of this yet, Im still recovering from my health problems following my appeal. I would just like a few weeks without any admin re dwp, PIP, housing etc to get well enough to cope with anything else! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.