Telliing work you have autism. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telliing work you have autism.

Options
rubin16
rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 531 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hey guys,

I have Autism and was diagnosed when I was 18. I have a new job that I start tomorrow and havn't worked in 2 years so have a mix of anxiety and excitement, the thing is though I havn't told my employer I have autism, and don't want too either incase I am treated differently as I just want to be treated like everyone else. I've always found that if you tell employers you have a disability that they overlook you or discriminate you.

This is a big step for me as normally I am scared to walk to the shops or leave my house, but don't want to live my life on benefits and do nothing with my life. I want a career and earn my way like everyone else does. So even though its scary and daunting meeting new people everyday, and being in social interactions I will do it for the money.

My question is though should I tell my employer? Has anyone been in a similar situation and not told their employer? or have you told your employer and what happened?

Thanks..
I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi @rubinheath16 congratulations on your job, I can understand you feeling excited and nervous,  I really hope it goes well for you,  see how you go, let me know how you get on. Good luck
    Its totally up to you if you tell your employer.
    The good thing about telling them it that it protects your rights and if you need adjustments 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rubinheath16 :) Huge congratulations on securing a new job! Very best of luck for tomorrow. Do you mind sharing the kind of work you'll be doing?

As Sandy_123 has said, it's completely your choice whether or not you choose to disclose the fact that you have autism with your employer. You can read a little bit about this on Scope's advice page about talking to your employer. 

Do you think you might need some reasonable adjustments or additional support when you start working? That might be a factor to consider. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Well done for getting the job 

If your condition would be evident to your employer then I would suggest you inform them 

As a hr manager for many years I would strongly suggest you do inform them for your own benefit.  If there are then any issues they can support you eg if you take longer to do the job   if your performance is any way affected they can take your conditio  into account rather than just presuming you are not up to the job 

It is entirely your decision  but if they don't know they don't have to consider it and make any adjustments 

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @rubinheath15 :) Welcome to the community!

From what you've said in your first post, I'm guessing that today will have been your first day in your new job? If so, how did it go? It can be quite a nerve-wracking experience, I know. Did everything go relatively smoothly. And did you enjoy it? 

Also, in terms of the question in your first post, did you decide whether or not to speak to your new employer about your autism? And has the advice from our community members been useful in helping you to come to a decision? 

Hope to speak to you again soon and looking forward to finding out how your first day went. Fingers crossed, it went really well for you. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 531 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I have just got back from work and to be honest I enjoyed it and seems a really friendly and team driven environment where everyone looks after each other. The managers are really nice and supportive and took my anxiety levels from 100-0 by the end of the day.

As the job is only temporary for a month (As a Trail) to see if I fit for the company and if I like it myself, I have took the decision for now to not let them know, I read their policy and I should really only discose it if its going to affect me or have an impact on my work. Which I hope it isn't but if it starts too or if anyone mentions anything I will speak to my manager and disclose it. But I have to show them my all for this month so I get a perminent contract. My only testing point is dealing with customers and new people each day which starts tomorrow, which even though I get bad anxiety and want to run for the hills I'll not let it stop me or show that I'm feeling that way.

I've spent years letting my autism stop me from doing things and going out and enjoying life, and I want to change that. No more shall I be scared to open the front door or go shops alone. I just want to be able to do things everyone else can without feeling like the world is enclosing on you and being on edge. So this new job is like a fresh start for me and a chance at a brighter future.

Thats alot of my chest, I rarely speak about my feelings or talk to anyone really, as I have 0 friends but for some reason I can talk normally through text and online and it does make me feel better when I do, so thanks for listening and helping it does help alot.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your welcome and glad it is going well 

Your positive attitude is commendable and so pleased you can open up to us 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rubinheath16 I'm so pleased you had a good 1st day and that every one is nice, good luck on your 2nd day and let us know.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rubinheath16

I'm so pleased to hear your job started well and we're all wishing you lots of luck for today and dealing directly with customers.  Your determination really shines through in your words and I can tell how much motivation you have, your employers are very lucky to have you!

It's good that you've made an informed decision on whether to share having autism with your employers, and like you say, you will know when/if the time is right should you need to.  Don't forget that support is there, and equally here for you on our online community, and everyone is rooting for you as you start this new work journey :)

Good luck and please let us know how it goes! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness