Phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phone assessment

Options
snoopy99
snoopy99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,
My sister has dyspraxia and gets ESA and PIP. Throughout her life, we’ve had to attend assessments for these and complete the relevant forms, despite her condition never changing.
I wondered if anyone has had a recent phone assessment for ESA? The reason I ask, is because I know previously I have completed paperwork for this and she has also attended a face to face assessment and have looked on the internet and found the sort of questions they should ask.
We had the phone call which lasted 25 minutes but the questions did not relate to how they do on the form and seemed quite random, where even on providing a brief answer the man on the other end spent minutes typing away and it was just an awkward phone call.
Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @snoopy99 and a warm welcome to our community.  It's great you found us!

I haven't personally had a phone assessment for ESA so don't have much to offer in terms of advice I'm afraid, however many of our members have and I'm sure they'll be along to fill you in on their experiences.

Just to advise, in the meantime I've deleted your duplicate thread in our Welcomes and introductions category so we can keep all responses in one spot to make it easier for everyone (and yourself!) to navigate :)

I hope you have a lovely week and please let us know how your sister gets on.  All the best.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    @snoopy99 I recently had a telephone assessment for ESA.  It was my first ever application and interview.  It lasted about 30 minutes and the questions did seem a tad random, and I agree the typing after each question was a little disconcerting. 

The assessor (female, lovely) kept reassuring me she was taking some time to make sure she was accurately recording what I was telling her.  The interview covered only two of my (many) conditions, at which point she said she had enough to make a recommendation.  She concluded by telling me a) I should not hear from anyone else with any further questions regarding my application, and b) I should know the outcome within four weeks. 

I requested a copy of the assessor's report a few days later, and her recommendation was support group.  Within a further week I received a letter confirming this.   

I hope your sister hears soon, and it's what she wants to hear.  
  • snoopy99
    snoopy99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @Girl_No1 thanks for your reply. The guy I had didn’t say anything except ask the questions which varied from her education, then if she had an issue with alcohol? Then to what’s she like at maths and then did I work and what happened if I went away. It didn’t go much into her condition (except for what’s her reading/writing like and does she do her washing and cooking - which I do). Did you wait for the result to come through to then request a copy of the report or did you call up before the result came through?
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    @snoopy99 It seems you were unlucky with your assessor - he sounds a bit robotic, just doing the job without any consideration of you/your daughter being human beings!  

From memory, I waited three/fours days after the assessment and called to request a copy of the assessor's report.  It arrived the next day.  The only thing I would say is, based on this and other fora, I think the service provided by DWP varies across the country.  The fact there appear to be very few "standards" in terms of timescales is very much to the DWP's benefit, whereas the "standards/timescales" for claimants are not so woolly!

FIngers-crossed your daughter receives the outcome she believes she deserves .... remember to keep us posted!  :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.